24) Yearning

You waiting for me right?

.....

Every step felt heavy. Placing a rock over her heart she was following him.

The little kid was crying in her arm, her small fingers clutching the etch of her suit. Her tears melted down on the warmth of her skin.

Not only were the steps heavy, but every tear of her eyes, a lump forming in the base of her throat and the sob clutching behind those brown lips.Every single part of her being seemed heavy. Heavy, drenched with soreful emotions. Sorrow, tears and pain of separation.

A hand came on her shoulder, lightly resting there trying to give her comfort.

Her eyes turned to meet the owner of that comforting hand.

"I am with you," he said, wiping the tears of her eyes he assured her. In a way touching the strings of her heart.

With a slight caress of love on the same shoulder, he urged her to take another step.

A light delicate frown arose on her temple then she realized she was standing at the same place for minutes now.

Gathering all her courage in one place she tried to walk another step, but she could not. Another step meant one step closer to losing Mahnoor.

"I can't," Chandni whispered, her lips quivering echoing the two and a half words.

"I know jaana you can. In these two days I have come to know how strong and courageous you are. Of course you can," the depth of his words were filled with pride and affection then why they felt sore to her ears.

Chandni shook her head, trying to behave like that small kid who can make people do anything by her stubbornness and wet eyes.

"Lets go Mehzabeen," his words came hard this time, his eyes calling her to be strong not selfish.

They can give everything to Mahnoor.

She can give everything to Mahnoor but she cannot give her the love of a real mother. Even if she tries to neglect it, she can never love Mahnoor as much as her mother loves her.

Gulping down every vulnerable sob Chandni walked ahead with Sabiq by her side and Mahnoor in her arms.

Something broke inside her when her eyes met the sight of a young couple waiting anxiously by sitting on the floor in the living room.

The woman was looking not more than twenty five and the man must be around thirty. Both of them looked like a normal lower middle class couple with the woman wearing a white and brown worn out cotton saree and a man in a plain white creased shirt and black pants.

As soon as they heard the sounds of their footsteps both the husband and wife looked ahead and their eyes widened seeing their six months old baby in a young girl's hands.