Chapter 20

Nini stood silently in the kitchen, well aware of her brothers arguing in the library above her, they had been at each others throats all day. Somehow the topic had gotten to Elena and Nini flinched when Stefan started yelling. 

Deciding it'd be best to leave them at it for once, she pulled out her earbuds and began listening to whatever song came on next, turning the volume all the way up to hopefully block out their arguing. Sadly, due to her vampire hearing, it didn't work very well. 

"I have the one thing that you never will." Nini could hear Stefan upstairs and went to sit on the couch, hugging a pillow to her chest. She didn't want to leave the house now, but she couldn't go up to her room either, it would just be louder. 

"Oh, yeah? What's that?" Nini shut her eyes, trying to drown them out but even without her vampire hearing their voices echoed through the house. 

"Her respect." She winced as she heard a crash followed by the sound of wood splintering then another crash. Of course they had to destroy one of her favorite rooms. 

"Stop!" At Elena's shout Nini opened her eyes and it went silent. When had Elena gotten here? Nini stood up and took out her headphones before slowly walking upstairs. 

"Why do you guys have to fight?" Nini spoke softly and all three people's eyes turned to her. She was clearly upset and the brothers hadn't even considered the fact that she was just a floor under them. 

"Sorry, Nini." Damon mumbled and Elena kept her eyes on her, shocked. 

"When did you wake up?" Nini gave a small smile and let Elena hug her. 

"Just this morning." 

"I'm glad you're ok." Nini nodded into her shoulder before releasing her to see her brothers looking behind her. 

"As am I." Nini knew that voice. The old time talk, a bit of an accent. 

"Elijah," Nini turned to see the Original standing in the doorway, the corner of his lips twitched up in a smile. He didn't say anything else before Nini had sped towards him, leaping into his arms as he held her tightly. 

"You're ok." He muttered softly, stroking her hair with his hand. "I had worried that you were hurt, after what my brother had done-" 

"I'm ok now. You're back, now I'm ok." 

"Ahem." Damon coughed, interrupting their reunion. Nini, seeming to remember that her brothers and Elena were still there, got back to on feet, her cheeks turning pink. "Elena, you invited him in?" 

"Elijah and I have renewed the terms of our deal." 

"Where were you?" Nini whispered to him, standing at his side.

"Really?" 

"Elena insisted I speak to her before I could see you." He whispered back before turning his attention back to the others. "The two of you will come to no harm at my hands. I only ask for one thing in return." 

"What?" Damon asked, skeptical. 

"An apology." Elijah responded simply and Damon scoffed with disbelief but Stefan walked forward.

"I'm sorry for the part that I played in your death. I was protecting Elena. I will always protect Elena." Elijah nodded, accepting this. 

"Thank you." Everyone looked over at Damon who hadn't said anything. 

"The sacrifice is going to happen, Damon. Bonnie will be able to kill Klaus without hurting herself and Elijah knows how to save my life. I told you I'd find another way. And I did." Damon raised and eyebrow and looked at Elijah.