Chapter 28

Please vote and comment!

"So let me get this straight, Jeremy came back to life and then could see ghosts?" Damon nodded and continued to drive to town square where the others were, clearly royally pissed off that Mason Lockwood had been able to torture not only him but also Nini. "And then Matt purposefully killed himself so he could see ghosts when Bonnie brought him back?" Damon nodded again. "And then one came back, tried to kill Elena last night, got sent back, but something is messed up with something called the Other Side?" 

"Yep, that's about it. Remember, the girl who came back was Donovan's sister." Now Nini nodded. 

"Yeah, ok. Are we going to the ceremony tonight?" That's why everyone was in town square, preparing for the Night of Illuminations. Something started when Nini was human. Damon shrugged, not seeming to interested. 

"Maybe we will, maybe we won't. You can go if you'd like, it's not up to me." 

"No," Nini sighed, looking out the window as they pulled up to the square. "I'll stay with you. I seem to get myself into trouble a lot." As her eyes wandered she noticed Bonnie and Caroline hanging up lanterns while Jeremy, Elena and Alaric were listening to some guy speak. 

"I'll be right back, im going to go say hi to Elena." Damon nodded and Nini flipped her switch, breezing through the crowd until she was standing next to Jeremy and Elena. 

"Stupid guy doesn't know what he's talking about." Nini grumbled under her breath, glaring at the man on stage who was spewing nothing but lies. 

"Nini? What are you doing here?" Nini flipped around to face Jeremy, shock on her face. 

"What?" She gaped, looking at him. 

"Jeremy, who are you talking to?" Elena turned to her brother and looked right through Nini, who was still stunned. 

"Nini, she's right there." Jeremy motioned to Nini and she and Elena both shook their heads. 

"Jeremy, they're no one- Wait-" Elena suddenly gasped and tears sprung in her eyes as she covered her mouth with her hand. 

"I don't get it Elena how can you not-" Suddenly a look of realization dawned on his face and he looked just as stunned as everyone else. "Nini, did you?" 

"What are you talking about?" 

"Nini, did you die?" Immediately Nini violently shook her head, relief washing over Jeremy's face. 

"No, no! I'm very much alive." She laughed, though still confused. "But how the hell can you see me? I'm not a ghost." Jeremy informed his sister and Alaric about what was happening while Nini made a fist and sent it straight to his stomach, expecting it to go through but instead he doubled over in pain.

"Jeremy!" Elena yelled and started to help her brother up while Nini tried it on a few others but nothing happened. 

"What the hell was that for?" Jeremy whisper yelled, already having too much attention drawn to them. 

"Sorry! Sorry, I was just testing. It's just you, why can you see me?" 

"Maybe you're connected to the other side or something" Jeremy suggested but Nini shook her head. She didn't like the sound of that. 

"No, that's impossible. I'm not dead." She repeated before turning her head to where Damon was honking his horn, ready to leave. "I'm out of here." When she tried to turn and walk away though, Jeremy grabbed her arm, surprise on both of their faces. 

"No, just wait. We're going to the Grill, we can try and figure this out, come with us." Nini didn't even hesitate before pushing his hand off, still extremely uncomfortable with this. She had always been able to disappear, it was her safety, but now that Jeremy could see her, who else could?"