Chapter 36

Please vote and comment!

"Hey 'Lijah." She tried to smile, she really did, but it didn't quite meet her eyes. Without a response Elijah kissed her softly. It was brief, but it still took her breath away. "What was that for?" The Original only shrugged, brushing her hair away from her face.

"You said you would never lie to me, so I won't lie to you either. My mother plans to kill my family tonight. Last night she did a spell, one to link us all as one. She will be fulfilling it tonight." Nini's face dropped. That confirmed it.

"We can fix this. I'm sure of it. I know witches, they can help and-"

Elijah cut her off, "Tell me my mother did not tell you about this plan, that you did not have a part in it like Elena did."

Nini shook her head. "I only heard of it this morning, I didn't want to believe it. I never would've assisted in this. I had no way of stopping it. Listen to me," Nini took his face in her hands, "Nothing will happen to you. We will fix this, ok?"

"You're crying, darling," Elijah's thumb brushed her cheek, hitting a cool tear.

"Am I?" Elijah nodded, a faint smile on his lips. He pulled her into a hug, wrapping her in his arms. This was where she felt safe, nothing was more secure than the feeling she had now.

"I love you, darling. Always and forever."

"I love you t-" A choking sound cut her off as her legs gave out under her, the Salvatore crumpling towards the ground as Elijah just barely managed to catch her.

"Nini?" He didn't get a response as her skin grayed, her eyes widening in fear while her veins became more prominent, the color quickly draining away. "No, no. What is this? What is happening?"

"I'm sorry," she gasped out, a tear running from her eye.

"What did you do? Nini?" She didn't respond, her color completely gone.

Her wide eyes pointed towards the sky, the usual brightness gone, nothing but darkness as she seemed to look at nothing. "No, no!" Elijah's hand brushed her face, gently shaking her, trying anything to wake the girl again.

"Come back to me, darling. You aren't dead. Come on, Nini." He tried everything, even resorting to giving her his blood at one point, desperately hoping it would have some affect because he was an Original.

"Do not do this to me, not you!" Elijah demanded, feeling as if everything had broken. "My love," he muttered, a trail of tears beginning to roll down his cheeks. "My darling, I love you. I love you, Adalyn Salvatore, come back to me, darling." He begged, his voice almost silent as he held the girl in his arms, pulling her to his chest.

Anger boiled inside of him, but he couldn't act on it. No visible thing had killed her, so as usual it must have been linked back to one main thing, his family. His mother. Him. She couldn't stay out of it, let him, the Original vampire, take the bullet. So she had sacrificed herself.

"You were never to be a victim of this, darling. My love, my sweet Nini." Tears clouding his vision, Elijah carefully brushed a hand over her eyes, shutting them before lifting her into his arms and disappearing into the night.

When Elijah reached the back of the Mystic Grill he was met with the sight of Klaus nearly killing Damon. "Leave him!" Both men froze, their attention being turned to the Original. "We still need them."

"Who is that?" Damon was the first to notice the body in Elijah's arms, Klaus being the one who saw the tear streaks on his face.

Without a word Elijah walked down the concrete stairs, Damon stumbling backwards as the Original neared.