Chapter 39

Dedicated to @unknownforever790. I'm so glad Nini's story is helping you through your move, and that you enjoy her story as much as I do ❤️

Please vote and comment!

Stefan's eyes drifted around the room, his mind wandering.

Even though Nini was human now, now that she couldn't remember anything, or at least it seemed that way, she could still be connected to Originals. Her small, fourteen year old, human self, was possibly connected to four Original vampires with a taste for violence. 

His eyes snapped to attention when his phone rang, Damon's name appearing.

"What is it?" Stefan answered dully. 

"Send Nini with Elijah and have him leave the house." 

"What? I'm not sending her with him." Damon sighed from the other end of the line, looking across the section of parked vehicles to the red head woman who was waiting for him. 

"Stefan, we know he's not going to let anything happen to her. I'm about to have problems with two very jealous women and it wouldn't exactly be ideal for Nini to be there and in all honesty, I don't trust to send her with you. Not when you're on the verge of snapping." 

"I'm not going to snap." Stefan snarled, taking a breath when Nini came back downstairs, bandages wrapping her hand. "Fine. But you'd better get this shit sorted out." Stefan hung up and stuffed his phone into his pocket, looking over at Elijah who had heard the entire thing. 

"Nini, you're going to go with Elijah for a while." The raven haired girl looked at the man who straightened his suit before heading for the door. 

"Very well. Adalyn, shall we?" 

"Wait, what? Why?" 

"Damon and I," Stefan struggled with his explanation and Nini's eyes narrowed. "We have work to do. One of us will come pick you up later." Nini wanted to argue. It was clear something was happening, but no one would tell her the full truth. 

"We should be going. A friend of mine dropped off my car." Nini huffed.

"Yeah, ok. Fine." Nini's head lowered as she went out the front door, Stefan speeding to Elijah before he could leave. 

"Don't let anything happen to her."

"I wouldn't dream of it." 

"Elijah, what if they forgot about me?" Stefan had lied, no one had come to get her. Instead Elijah had received a call that night asking if he would keep the fourteen year old until the next day. "Maybe they don't want me, now that I'm messed up." Nini ran a hand through her hair anxiously and Elijah lowered himself onto the couch near her, his eyes meeting her. 

"Your brothers will always want you, and you aren't messed up. They haven't forgotten." Nini didnt seem convinced as she curled her knees to her chest. "Adalyn, one thing I learned during my years with you is that, and I wish I could find a better way to say it, you have a fear of being abandoned. It's a very strong one too." 

"But your brothers, they will never abandon you. Someone will always be there for you. And if it can't be them, it will be me. You are not forgotten, and you will never be abandoned." Nini's eyes drifted to her hand as she picked at the bandages, now wrinkled from the night. 

"How is your hand?" Nini shrugged. 

"It feels good, but I'm afraid if I take the bandage off it might start bleeding again. Maybe it's just adrenaline or some weird thing like that." Elijah reached over, taking her injured hand and turning it palm up before gently beginning to unravel the bandages.