Chapter 23

Please vote and comment!

Nini felt numb as she stepped out of her car and walked towards the front door. She couldn't stop, she had been told to go straight home and not leave. As soon as she walked through the door it was like she had control over her body again and her first thought was to rush out the door so she tried but failed. 

It was just like the barrier for getting inside a humans house but backwards. She couldn't leave. "Damon!" Nini shouted and sped down to the basement only to find an empty cell. "Shit." She mumbled, pulling out her phone but before she could call anyone Elena's name came up. 

"Hello? Elena? Is Damon with you?" 

"Yes I found him but something's wrong. I think it's the bite he bit me and thought I was Katherine and-" 

"Do you have him now?" Nini cut her off and rushed for the back door, hoping against hope that there was some way for her to get out. 

"Yeah. I'm trying to get him back but I could use some help." Nini punched the barrier in frustration and sped upstairs, now trying to find a window. 

"I can't leave. Klaus compelled me not to, I'm stuck. You're going to have to get him here yourself because Stefan can't help either. Please Elena, it's going to get so much worse, get him home." 

"I will, I'm on my way." The call ended and Nini felt tears of frustration spring in her eyes as she tried again and again to escape with no avail. If her brother died or got killed without her and Stefan by his side then she would never forgive herself. 

He had wanted to speak to her and she blew him off, leaving him with the guilt of hurting her because at the time she believed he deserved it and now she may never get to apologize. 

"Come on, Elena." Nini whispered, sinking into her chair. "Just bring him home." 

Twenty minutes later Nini heard Elena's car pulling in and she was at the front door immediately, pulling it open so she could get him inside. 

"Hey, sissy." He sounded weak as he spoke and broke out into a coughing fit, falling to the ground. 

"Damon, it's ok. Come on, let's get you to bed. Stefan's going to get the cure it will all be ok." Damon didn't respond and Nini put his arm around her shoulders before speeding him upstairs, Elena right behind her but at human speed. 

"Was it like this for you?" Elena asked as Nini put the covers over her brother. The Salvatore girl shrugged, not wanting to think about that night. 

"This is just the beginning. The pain is indescribable. Not to mention the hallucinations." Elena handed her a small towel and she wiped some sweat from Damon's forehead, giving him a small smile when he opened his eyes a bit. "Hi big brother. How're you doing?" 

"Oh you know, I laugh in the face of death." Nini laughed lightly and wiped a tear off her cheek. She could clearly remember saying those same words to him, minutes after she had gotten bitten herself. "Hey, hey," he reached a hand up and placed it on her cheek, wiping away a tear. "Why're you crying?" Nini smiled and shook her head, kneeling down to his level. 

"I'm not. I think the hallucinations are getting to you. You should eat something, Elena, can you play babysitter?" Elena nodded and took the towel from the girl. 

Nini rushed from the room immediately, wanting to get down to the basement before she let anymore tears flow past. Stefan would get the cure, he would save Damon, everything would be ok. 

She collected a couple blood bags and took her time getting upstairs, making sure her eyes were cleared as she walked down the hall to Damon's room. He had begun to cough again and she could hear Elena comforting him so she stopped, leaning against the wall.