Chapter 42

Please vote and comment!

"Stay here and try to find Anna, we'll go talk to Mary." Damon snapped to Jeremy before getting out of the car, Elena behind him. 

The Salvatore had been in a bad mood since the realization that none of this would mean anything if they couldn't save Nini too. He felt so stupid, they all did. They were so obsessed in figuring out the bloodline the fact that Nini could be from a different one entirely slipped their minds. 

"I'm sorry he's being harsh," Nini sighed, pulling her knees to her chest while she leaned her head against the window, her cover flickering while Jeremy watched her again. "He's just upset. It isn't anyone's fault, we'll figure it out. I'm sorry you have to talk to Anna, I know you don't want to." 

"Stop apologizing for everything, Nini. Like you said, we'll figure it out." Nini nodded, her eyes drifting to look outside the window. 

"We'll figure it out." She whispered to herself, nearly drifting off again when suddenly her phone began to ring, making her jump in surprise. 

Pulling the device from her pocket, a grin split across her face as soon as she saw screen. She glanced over at Jeremy quickly.

"Let me guess, Elijah?" She didn't even need to answer and he nodded to himself and she stepped outside the car, letting the door shut behind her when her smile started to fade. 

He knew something was wrong with her, Kol had told him. This wouldn't be a normal call. 

Slowly, she pressed the accept button, lifting the phone to her ear. "Hello Darling." For some reason, just the sound of his voice brought tears to her eyes. She missed him so much, now more than ever. 

"Elijah." She whispered, leaning against the car and he heard him chuckle on the other end. 

"How are you, my love?" She took a deep breath, blinking away tears before they could fall before answering. 

"I'm good, really good," she lied, "Just on a bit of a trip with my brother, Elena, and Jeremy." She wasn't good. She wanted to beg him to return to her, she wanted him to hold her in his arms, kiss her and whisper comforting things until she could feel the sense of calm that she had been missing for what felt like months. "I love you, Elijah." 

He hummed on the other end of the line, "Why would you not tell me you're sick?" Nini closed her eyes a let out a light, bitter laugh. 

"Of course Kol told you. Scared for his own skin, the coward." She sounded angry, but she didn't feel it. Of course she didn't want Elijah to worry, but she couldn't be mad that Kol was looking out for her despite what he said about saving himself. 

"Tell me what is happening to you." 

"You mean what's happening to me now." She sighed, "Something always seems to be wrong with me, 'Lijah. I don't know how you haven't grown tired of me." 

"I could never grow tired of you, you know this. Do not change the subject, Nini." She sighed again. 

"I don't know what's happening. I can't drink blood, and I don't know why. Just the thought of it makes me feel ill. I don't know if it's because I was human and switched back so fast or for some other reason. I've had fading spells and couldn't hold down the blood when Jeremy gave me his blood." She finished telling him everything and the Original was quiet. "Elijah?" Her voice was soft, nearly a whisper.

"I'm coming back, I'm coming to you." Hope and fear rushed through her veins all at once. She needed him, desperately. She wanted to see him. But it wasn't safe. Not for either of them.