Chapter 41

Please vote and comment!

"I've only been to Denver twice, but I do enjoy it." Nini mused, looking at shops as her, Elena, and Damon walked down the street towards the batting cages where Jeremy apparently was. 

"Well you'll have to go sight seeing another time, sissy." Damon told her, reminding her that they weren't here for pleasure, rather to make sure they didn't kill the wrong Original and die. 

"I know, I know," she hummed, her eyes scanning the windows of the shops before her face lit up. "Puppies!" A pet store had twelve puppies on display in the window, the little golden retrievers playing with eachother, completely oblivious to the outside world. "Damon, can I go look? Please? I'll only be a minute!" She was like a small, excited child, and it made Damon chuckle to himself. 

"Yeah, go on. Just meet us in there." Nini grinned, walking as fast as she could at human speed as Elena and Damon continued to go to Jeremy. 

Nini went inside, the bell above the door ringing and she smiled kindly at the boy working inside. "Can I help you find anything?" For a moment Nini heard his heart speed up, and she flashed him anther smile. 

"No thank you, I'm just looking at the puppies." He seemed slightly disappointed and Nini laughed to herself before wandering over to the pen, lifting one of the wriggly balls of fur into her arms and laughing as it tried to lick her cheek. 

"I must admit, they're almost as adorable as you are." Nini's head shot up and she nearly dropped the poor creature from shock. Careful not to harm it, she set the puppy down, her eyes never leaving the man. 

"Kol." The Original smiled and she grinned, rushing into his arms and he gave her a crushing hug, neither wanting to let go first. "I didn't think I'd see you again for years. Wait until I tell Elijah that pick up line." Kol chuckled into her hair and the two finally broke apart. 

"Are you going to be here long? I figured if you were to travel you'd go to New Orleans, my brother tells me you favor that place." Nini shook her head.

"Only a day. My brother has some business he wants to attend to. Speaking of which, I should go. It was really nice to see you, Kol." Kol nodded, taking her hand and kissing it, a mischievous glint in his eye. 

"Until we meet again, Lynne." She watched him walk out the door, then he was gone. 

Nini reached down and scratched one of the puppies behind the ear before making her way to the door too. Well aware that the workers eyes were on her she flashed him another smile, which he returned. "Have a nice day." 

"You too." He muttered out and Nini almost laughed at the flush in his cheeks. 

Nini entered the batting cages only to immediately see Damon with what seemed to be half a bat as he shoved the fractured wood into Kols heart, causing him to crumple to the ground. 

"Kol!" Nini sped towards him but Damon caught her arm, briefly stopping her. "Why did you do that? What happened?" 

"We can't all be best buddies with Originals. Come on, he's not dead but we've got a head start." Damon grabbed Elena and they rushed out of the batting cages, Jeremy hurrying behind them but stopping when he realized Nini hadn't moved. 

"Hey," Jeremy placed a hand on her shoulder, making her look at him. "We've got to go." Nini nodded, reaching up and squeezing his hand. 

"I know. It's good to see you, Jer." 

"I'm glad you're here. Now, let's go." Nini let him take her hand and run out of the batting cages, hurrying to catch up to Damon and Elena.