Chapter 22

Please vote and comment!

"Klaus, please, just let Jenna go. She doesn't deserve this." Nini begged as Greta began to chant under her breath.

"You see little ghost, maybe none of them truly deserve it, but we must all make sacrifices when the time comes. Hello Jenna." He greeted as he approached her ring of fire. 

"Let her go. I understand that I have to die, but she doesn't!" Elena cried, looking at her aunt and beginning to walk towards the flames only to retreat when the flared up. 

"Careful." Klaus hummed.

"Elena, don't." Jenna warned, looking up at Klaus with a look that could kill. 

"No, Jenna! We can't leave Jeremy without a family!" Elena cried again, turning to Klaus. "I followed your rules; I did everything that you asked. I didn't run. Please." As Elena begged Nini turned her head to where the faintest sound of footsteps reached her ears, horrified to see her brother standing on the hill. 

"Well, well." Klaus smirking, also noticing Stefan. "I don't recall you being on the guest list." 

"Yeah, well, neither was my sister but here we are. I want to talk." Elena was straining as she tried to hear what Stefan was saying but it was no use, she was only human.

"Very well, then." Klaus shrugged, looking briefly at Jenna that at Nini before walking towards the youngest Salvatore. "In case you try to flee," he mumbled as he injected another syringe of vervain into her, causing the girl to hiss in pain. 

"Leave her alone!" Stefan shouted, becoming angry. Clearly Klaus found joy in this but he didn't let Stefan see as he placed a hand behind Nini's head, gently lowering her to the ground. 

"Now we can talk." Nini barely turned her head to see Klaus speed up towards Stefan, walking calmly up to him. "How can I help you, Mr. Salvatore?"

"You don't need to kill Jenna. I'll take her place." Nini could hear the two men clear as day, her chest tightening at Stefan's words but she couldn't protest, the vervain starting to take over her consciousness. 

"Oh, I don't know. I rather appreciate the symmetry of three women." Klaus trailed off and Nini could hear his footsteps along with Jenna and Elena whispering back and forth. "Three goddesses-- Sacrificed at nature's altar." 

"Don't play games with me. You'll get what you want either way." Stefan snapped, getting impatient. 

"You're quite the hero, aren't you? I've heard that about you." Klaus mocked. "You, the hero, your stubborn brother, always making the mistakes, and your little sister, who always seems to pay the price."

"Then don't make her pay the price now. This has nothing to do with her. Just make the trade. Me for Jenna and Nini gets returned to Damon." Klaus seemed to be considering this and Nini's eyes slowly drifted shut as they came back down the hill, their voices becoming louder. 

"Quite the predicament. You know, it's funny, all this talk about preserving family, and here's Stefan, granting your wish and protecting his own." Nini became aware of a hand on her cheek and Stefan's face taking up what little bit of sight she had. 

"Hey, you're a real idiot, you know that?" He mumbled, smiling softly at his sister.

"Please, please Stefan." Nini begged with all her energy, a tear slipping from her eye. 

"Everything will be ok, you're going to be safe." He promised before kissing her forehead softly as her eyes finally shut, rendering her unconscious.

"Well." Klaus had a stake in hand and pointed it between Jenna and Stefan. "Who's it going to be, Elena?"