Estrangement

Khaani leaves the house on foot. She is crying endlessly for the mess that is her life. She never imagined Hadi would do this. But then she thinks to herself why is she crying over the fact that they have separated today, this was what she wanted in the first place. She wanted to be away from Hadi. So she finally go what she wanted, since Hamza was going to find out about Sarim. Why is she sad over this? The answer came from her heart, but she did not want to admit it ---- it was love!

Hadi stays there frozen, and then slowly takes out his drinking flask from the inside of his coat, and drinks. Hamza is so angry at Hadi, but he knows there's no use of talking to him since he is drunk. He feels helpess for his brother.

He leaves Hadi alone to go back inside the house

He leaves Hadi alone to go back inside the house. As he opens the door to go in, he hears tires screech behind him.

It's Hadi, driving off the car to go behind Sanam. He calls him to atleast take the driver but he doesn't pick up his calls.

As it's a farmhouse, there's only fields all around with no public transport. The city was an hour away from there.

Hadi pushes brakes hard on his Audi Q5 near Sanam, which he had bought specially for Khaani, and by which she came to the farmhouse with the driver.

Sanam jumps in surprise as she turns around and sees Hadi brake so hard, so close to where she was walking.

Hadi gets out in anger and holds her hand to take her to the passenger seat.

"Chalo mere saath." He says, without making eye contact.

She shrugs his hand off. "Nahi jaoungi!"

"Sanam yahaan se shehar aik ghanta door hai, aur tumhare ammi abbu ka ghar us sey bhi door. Yahaan se koi bus ya taxi nahi milegi tumhein, khaas kar iss waqt." He pleads, still not making eye contact.

"Main bas aik driver ki tarah tumhein chhod kar aounga. Aur kuchh nahi."

"Nahi!!!!" Her eyes glimmer with anger.

Hadi looks at her and then looks back down.

He joins his hands. "Please."

Khaani goes and sits silently in the car

Khaani goes and sits silently in the car. Hadi comptemplates all the decisions he ever made, and stares into the dark for a couple minutes. He thinks how the tables always turn, he used all the power he has to take advantage of people, hurt the helpless just because he was Mir Hadi and held so much power to exploit, and now, God is making him feel all the things those people he might have hurt, felt. Because the people were not at fault, just like he wasn't at fault for Sanam's brother. He feels not bad but amazed at God's work, His ways.

Both of them are quiet and this song is playing on the radio:

Half an hour into the drive, Hadi sees a dhaba on the side of the road and decides to stop there.

"Ruk kyun rahe ho?" She asks rudely.

"Chai peete hain."

"Nahi mujhe nahi peeni."

"Theek hai."

He comes back after 10 minutes, and has two chais in his hands. He asks Sanam to roll down her window. She does and says, "Maine kahaa tha mujhe nahi peeni."

Hadi is going to say something but gets interrupted by a guy, who had two plates of food in his hand.

"Saab agle tires mein hawaa kam lag rahi hai, bharwaa lijiye."

"Achha haan bhar do. Kitne paise?" He checks the tires and takes out his wallet.

"Nahi saab aapse kaunse paise, aap toh Mir Hadi hain."

"Arrey le lo, ye rakhlo saare." He laughs and gives him a 100 rupee note.

"Ji shukriya! Assalamalaikum bibi ji." He greets Sanam. She nods his head.

"Bibi ji bahir hi aa jayein tab tak woh tires mein hawaa bhar lenge." Hadi says jokingly to Sanam to lighten up the intense mood.

They sit on a cement ledge on the side of the dhaba, away from all the people, while the guy checks all the tires. It is surprisingly busy there at 12 AM. He gives her the tea and plate of sandwich. She takes the tea.

"Mujhe bhookh nahi hai."

"Mama ka phone aaya tha, bataa rahi thi tumne dinner bhi nahi kiya. Khaa lo."

"Unko kab se mera khana khane na khane se farq padne lagaa?" She scoffs.

"Kya pata unko apne bete ki pasand achhi lagne lag gayi ho. Aur koi chaara bhi toh nahi chhoda maine unke liye."

"Na-mumkin." She lets out a short laugh. Hadi smiles, looking at her and taking a sip of the chai.

They stay quiet for sometime, and Hadi breaks the silence.

"Pata hai Sanam, aaj ka din bahot lamba tha, dekho kahaan aa kar khatam hua." Hadi stares blankly into nothingness. He continues, "Tum na, meri zindagi mein mujhe bahot badaa sabak sikhaane ayi thi, aur main seekh gaya. Ab jo mer khwahish hai ussey maine Khuda par chhod diya hai, pata nahi woh puri kare ya naa."

"Tum kab se Khuda ko maan-ne lage?" Sanam is puzzled at Hadi's every word.

"Jab se tumse mohabbat hui hai, shayad tab se." He gives a smile and looks at her.

After a while the guy comes back and lets them know that tires are good to go. Hadi hands him more money.

"Shukriya saab! Allah aap miya biwi ki jodi sadaa banaye rakhe."

"Yeh meri biwi nahi hain, hum dost hain." Hadi says without hesitation, pats the man on shoulder as a thanks and goes to the car.

For a moment Sanam cannot comprehend what Hadi said. She is shocked beyond words. She had forgotten for a while that they were now divorced. It breaks her heart but she doesn't know why. She is lost in her thoughts and just then Hadi honks for her to get in the car.

They finally reach Khaani's home. She doesn't know how to face them.
"Apna khayal rakhna." Hadi says as Khaani gets out of the car, summing up the courage.

Seeing her house, reality hits her again and she remembers Sarim. She doesn't respond to him, and leaves without even looking at Hadi.

The door opens after she rings the bell a few times.

"Ji? Aap kaun?"

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

How is this part guys? It's a little longer!! I really like writing this one since  it was a rollercoaster!!!! Do comment your feedback and vote!!♥️🫶🏻🫶🏻