New hope

Hamza goes inside to see Hadi. He sits on the side of his bed and holds his arm. He takes a deep breath before saying anything, because what he's going to say is a lie.

"Hadi, Sanam ki haalat bahot kharaab hai tumhein le kar. Bahot fikarmand hai woh aur roz bimaar rehti hai tumhari wajah se. Usney kaha hai woh tumhein iss haalat mein dekh nahi sakti,

He sees Hadi's heartbeat increasing, and then he continues, "Tum ghabrao mat, vaise toh woh theek hai, bas tum jald se jald recover ho jaao." Hamza lied to give Hadi hope. Because he knows that at this point, hope is the only thing that could make Hadi better.

As Sanam goes home in the evening, she sees the guy, her husband-to-be, standing outside her house, and it looks like he's waiting for her. She lowers her gaze and walks straight to the house gate.

 She lowers her gaze and walks straight to the house gate

"Sanam ji?"

"Ji. Assalamalaikum."

"Walaikum Salaam." The guy, Junaid, says hesitantly. "Uh main aapko coffee par le jaane aaya tha. Maine uncle aunty se ijazat le li hai."

"Ji maaf kijiye, mujhe mama baba ne bataya nahi."

"Aap-aap unse mil ayiye, main yahin intezaar karta hun."

Khaani nods her head. As soon as she goes inside, her emotion-less self changes into a raging one. She's fuming and calling out her mother, to ask why they gave the permission.

"Mama baba! Yeh kya chal raha hai. Mujhse ab ghar mein puchha bhi nahi jaa raha?"

"Arrey kya ho gaya? Itna shor kyun machaya hai Khaani?" Sonia comes out of the kitchen.

"Mama woh Junaid, bahir khada hai, meri wait kar raha hai coffee pe jaane ke liye. Aur mujhe pata bhi nahi tha. Yeh koi mazak chal raha hai?"

"Khaani shaant ho jao. Usne tumhare baba se permission li hai. Woh keh rahe the ke tum dono khul ke aik doosre ko jaan lo ge."

"Nahi jan'na mujhe!" She shouts as her father comes into the living room.

"Baba yeh kyaa hai." She says helplessly.

"Mere bache, tumhari us sey shaadi hone jaa rahi hai. Aik doosre ko jaanoge nahi toh kaise understanding hogi?"

"Lekin baba-"

"-Beta. Mera achha bacha ban kar tayiar ho aur chale jao uskey saath. Woh bahir aik ghante se wait kar raha hai tumhari. Aise nahi karte. Hmm?"

She gives up because any ways, her parents are right. "Okay baba."

--------------------------------------

She goes out. Junaid's face was as if he had lost hope, but when he sees her coming out, his face lights up.

They go to a cafe and order coffees.

"Aap zyada bolti nahi hain."

"Ji vaise hi."

"I understand, comfortable hone mein time lagta hai."

"Uh- ji."

"Vaise aap mind na karein toh main aik baat puchh sakta hun?"

"Puchhiye." She panics, thinking he will ask her about Hadi.

"Main roz subah office us hi raste se jaata hun, jis road par hospital hai jahan aap kaam karti hain. Agar aap comfortable hon toh shaadi mein jo 2 mahine bache hain, utna waqt bhi main apko chhod sakta hun?"

"Matlab?!" She is puzzled, her eyes narrowed and forehead creased.

"Matlab main roz subah aapko ghar se hospital chhod dun, aur shaam ko hospital se ghar? Please manaa mat kijiye. Aapka ghar aur hospital dono mere kaam ke raste mein hi padte hain."

"Nahi aapka waqt zaya nahi karna chahti roz main."

"Nahi bilkul nahi, shaadi ke baad bhi toh main aapko drop kiya karunga. Lekin aapki marzi hogi agar aapko kaam karna hai yaa nahi. Zaroori nahi hai ke aap kaam karein."

"Lekin mujhe meri family ke baare mein bhi sochna hota hai. Toh kaam toh nahi chhod paungi."

"Ji koi problem nahi hai. Lekin main aapko bata dun, maine aapke Abba ji se baat ki thi, aur Sara ki college ke saath ussey part-time job offer ki hai maine apne office mein. Aur Sara ka school khatam hote hi, ussey bhi part-time desk job mil jayegi, taa ki aapko un dono ki tension lene ki zaroorat na ho."

"Lekin aap itna kuchh kyun kar rahe hain?"

"Dekhiye, main jaanta hun aap ke saath kya kya hua hai. Aur main aapki pareshaani aur dukh samajh sakta hun. Hum husband wife bann'ne vale hain aur uska matlab hai ke apki har taqleef ab se meri hai."

Khaani is speechless at his words. He turned out to be so understanding, which  wasn't expected from him. And he's doing all this even before they're married.

He continues, "Mujhe pata hai abhi shaadi nahi hui, lekin main chaahta hun ke jab aap mere ghar aayein, toh koi tension na ho apko."

They talk casually after that, and go home at night. Junaid drops her and waits for her to go inside and then leaves.

After so many restless days, Sanam feels a little bit relieved today. This person who she is going to be with understands her and doesn't need any explanations. She feels hopeful, for her life, for her family atleast. But in the back of her head, there's always HADI.

------------------------------

2 Weeks pass and Sanam has stopped going anywhere near to the part of hospital where Hadi is. She doesn't ask nurses about him. It is hard for her not to check his file in the system to know if there's any progress. She shut out Hamza as well.

Junaid had been dropping her to work and back to her home in the evening, as she had agreed with that.

One morning, Junaid stops the car in front of the hospital gate to drop Khaani. She gets out and says bye to him with a smile and coffee in her hand, and he leaves. As she turns around, she sees Hamza, who came out from the hospital, looking at her with despise. 

She notices he's with someone in a wheelchair, taking them home probably. As soon as she looks down on the wheelchair, every second feels like it's never ending. Every moment is passing in slow motion.

She can hear her heavy breath, and her heart pounding. It's like someone hit her head with a boulder. Her hands feel like they have no energy in them. The coffee falls from her hand and spills.

"Hadi?!" She whispers to herself, panicking, and her eyes widening more than ever.

||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||