Looks Can Be Deceiving

Ever since I dropped Chaeyoung at the college door, I haven't stopped thinking about her. The sound of her laugh echoed through my mind as I recalled our meeting so brief and so good.

I don't know why I got fascinate on that girl like that, maybe it was her way of being that captivated me even though we only talked for a few minutes. I guess I was unaccustomed to meeting new people or maybe even worthwhile people. I found both in one person and I wasn't knowing how to deal.

- What's wrong with you? - Momo asked as we passed by what must have been the thousandth clothing store. - Sighing nonstop.

- I met that Chaeyoung - I shrugged my shoulders asking God for her not to decide to go past the window.

Momo stopped what she was doing and stared at me with a suspicious expression.

- What did you do with her, Mina? - I laughed forgetting where I was but tried to stifle the laughter with my hands. - I'm officially worried.

- It offends me to know you think the worst of me - I pretended to be hurt. Her expression didn't change and I rolled my eyes. - I didn't do anything to her, relax.

She seemed to drop the subject and kept walking, which was really weird actually, apart from that small talk, I've noticed Momo incredibly out of her mind since we got here. She was insufferable when it came to shopping, we had to go into several stores before she realized she wanted the outfit she saw in the first one. She spared no time trying on every piece and chatted about the latest trends until she convinced anyone that her choices were more than accurate. But today she barely made it past the shop windows and when she did it was less than ten minutes inside, not to mention that she didn't speak and when she did it seemed premeditated and forced. There's something wrong.

- Aren't you going to choose anything? - I asked suspiciously.

- I haven't found anything that interests me yet.

- Hm - I squinted my eyes. - since when do you control yourself like that?

- Mina?! Be quiet. You wanted to come so stop complaining.

- But I didn't want to come... - I huffed low to myself.

We literally spent the whole afternoon walking back and forth looking for something that, it seems to me, didn't exist in any of those stores. Momo was weird, my feet were hurting and I couldn't wait to get into my bed.

A beep sounded beside me. Momo held the phone staring at the screen and finished typing something.

- Yeah, I didn't find what I wanted. Let's go, I still need to go home.

- What? Can't you drop me off at the hotel first? - I asked pouting, but she looked at me indifferently shaking her head in denial.

I huffed again, disgusted with myself for accepting her ride earlier. If I had known we were going to make so many stops, I would have taken a taxi to the hotel and by then I would be with my face buried in my pillow.

It didn't take long and we were in front of her building. Momo lived in one of the most highly rated places on the Upper East Side. Her parents were influential figures in the marketing business, and the fact that she was an only child afforded her some exaggerated pampering. I begged to wait in the car, but she insisted that I go up with her to "help her carry something back." This story got weirder by the second, Momo was up to something and I already suspected what it could be.

We went upstairs in silence, a certain nervousness coming from her, she sure was terrible at hiding things and I wondered if she knew that. When we passed the apartment door the light came on and several people jumped out screaming and gesticulating, a scene worthy of a movie.