The Purpose

The next morning was harder to survive, actually. I lost count of how long we had sex, but I know we went to sleep almost close to dawn. Chaeyoung was simply amazing in every way, she is the type of person who is curious and learns very quickly when she wants to. It felt like a reflection of me.

Since it was after ten, I assumed that she wasn't worried at all about going to class today. Her alarm clock rang about four times already, and even then she wasn't up. I can no longer say the same about myself. I counted a few hours of sleep until the moment my father called me and I had to get out of bed to answer him, which was something new for me, because I usually only answer when it's convenient for me. Maybe I'm getting soft.

I picked up some clothes from the floor and went to the living room, so as not to wake Chaeyoung with our conversation. At first I was still a little hesitant about Akira, the events of last night, our quick conversation and my suspicions didn't let me move too far towards him without first taking some precautions. But he seemed worried about me, right away asking if I was better and if I was with Chaeyoung. I laughed to myself. Even though I didn't tell him anything, he already knew the intensity of what was going on between us, which was impressive given the fact that he deprived himself of this type of assessment about me many years ago.

Without me giving him a clue, the bastard put into words everything I felt for her. Even my insecurities and my fears. I don't know how many times I snorted on the line, indignant at him and, even more so, at myself for being so easily decipherable. It seems that the more I tried to change and leave him completely out of the loop, the more he noticed my masks and the reasons for each of them. I was beginning to realize that this was a meaningless effort. With the matter of Chaeyoung, also came all his support for us. Akira didn't mince words to say how beautiful we were together and how good we made each other, all these conclusions after just a few quick words.

I might go into my neurosis again if it weren't for the sincerity in the way he praised us. The way he seemed to make a point of convincing me of what he was saying made me remember the old times, times when he really cared about my happiness and well-being. Maybe people could change, or recover, after all, it was happening to me. But I had help from Chaeyoung and he... Well, I don't believe that my mother was any great difference in his days. I started thinking while listening to him and decided to give myself up this time.

We talked like never before. If it didn't last long, it was no less than an hour. We started with my relationship, my uncertainties, jealousy, Chaeyoung's parents. Akira even offered me help to face them when I was ready or if necessary. I distributed laughter to every corner of the apartment as the topics went from one to another, from the most comical to the most serious, until we arrived at Nayeon. Contrary to what I expected, the atmosphere between us did not change with the subject. My father gave me all the explanations and apologized even more for not having told me sooner.

The damage was already done, that was the truth, but I wouldn't deprive her of trying to be someone in this life, especially if she is really determined to change as she says. It wouldn't be a problem to see her working at his company, that's what I thought until I received an offer from him.

- You know I don't want to get involved in these things. - I stopped leaning on the kitchen counter. I've been going around the apartment while talking.

- I know, sweetheart, but you are the only person I trust with this and who I know is capable.

- What about Sachiko? - he sighed when he saw that I still didn't refer to my mother properly.

- You know she doesn't have the slightest ability to lead a company. - I snorted. He was right, but there was no way nobody was more qualified than me. More ideas for replacements came to my mind, but he was quick to beat me to it. - There is no one else I trust in this world, not even my partners.