A Reason to Live

MINA POV

Beep. Beep. Beep. The uncomfortable noise marked the seconds that passed inside my mind, my eyes were closed and I could swear that everything was just a dream. But I was too conscious for such a thing, my ears were attentive to all the noises around me and at the moment, only the incessant beeping remained there. Until I heard voices in the distance, they came clearly and then lost focus, followed by a thud. A closed door perhaps. The sound of footsteps filled the room and stopped next to me, I tried to react immediately, but my body didn't seem to be on the same frequency as my mind. Everything was so painful and so slow. I risked opening my eyes, however slowly it was, curiosity was greater than anything at the moment and I remembered absolutely nothing that would give me a hint of where I am.

A noise escaped my lips at the same moment I received that spotlight directly on my face, I felt like a vampire exposed to the sun. The pain was so sharp that it went to my head and made me even more confused. The little I could see was enough to leave me intrigued: White walls, blue tiles, strange bed... Where am I? I gathered my strength and decided to open my eyes again, this time feeling less of the thump of the lighting and being able to really focus on something in front of me.

- Good morning, sunshine - a voice appeared next to me, making me jump in fright directly onto the railing that surrounded the bed. It was a bang that even I was surprised by. I had totally forgotten that there was someone else there with me. - Wow, I'm sorry. Are you okay?

I swallowed hard, still recovering from the sudden shock and finally looked at him. A boy looking no more than twenty-two years old, he was wearing an entirely green nurse's uniform.

- Who are you? - I squinted my eyes at him and he seemed a little scared. Astonished. His eyes stayed on mine and no words seemed even close to crossing his lips. I clapped an alarming hand making him snap out of his trance. - Who are you? - I repeated the question, this time he seemed to process it.

- My name is Jay, I'm the nurse in charge.

- This can't be happening. - I mumbled. Jay, who had his attention focused on the machines, immediately returned his gaze to me.

- How are you feeling?

- It sucks - I placed my hands on the mattress and pushed my body backwards, placing myself in a sitting position and resting my back against the headboard. - How did I get here?

- A friend of yours brought you here, don't you remember?

- No. - If I remembered, I wouldn't be asking, idiot.

- Well, it's normal. Yesterday you had high levels of alcohol in your blood, and other substances too, you arrived here passed out and on the verge of going into an alcoholic coma.

- What a shame I wasn't. - I rubbed my face with my hands lightly trying to ease the pain, I could have sworn that the boy was looking at me in disbelief at that exact moment.

- Bad night?

- If I only remembered something, I would answer you. But I think the fact that I don't remember says a lot.

He laughed softly, with that uncertainty of his freedom with me. Which was good, I wasn't in the mood for small talk with nurses, much less I was here to make friends. I looked around me again, realizing where that annoying beeping was coming from. It was the heart monitoring machine, which, by the way, was getting on my nerves at this point. Beside me hung two bags full of something I couldn't tell, but which went down to two different points on my arm on needles stuck against my skin.

- We called your parents so we could...

- You what? - I raised my voice a little more than I expected.