Shock Treatment

One more thing for my mind to process that night. As if my father and Nayeon's intrigues weren't enough for me separately, now they had to be together. Seeing her admit those things right there in front of me shook me a little. If she remained the same, and I could imagine how difficult that had been, Nayeon was not the type of person to give up or admit defeat. So what happened clashed with my certainties and my already formed opinions about her. Her eyes seemed sincere, and usually they're the only ones that don't lie to me.

I hated it all. I hated this life of suspicion, this cautious path that I had to take at all times. If I had known that returning would be upsetting in this way, perhaps I would have chosen to stay where I was. I laughed to myself. My life was more troubled than a mental hospital, how pathetic was that? Where did I go wrong? Where? At what point did I give permission for hell to descend on the earth and hit me like that? I know there are people in worse situations, but I honestly don't remember asking to be born, to be my parents' daughter or to have half the personality I have today.

To make matters worse, I only wanted by my side the one person I wasn't sure wanted me too at that moment. Chaeyoung looked at me so disappointed, her face full of concern. I think even a little scared. I mentally condemned myself as my fingers ran through my hair, separating the strands and pressing hard against the scalp. My face contorted in contempt with each flash of memory that came to me, it was almost torturous.

- I thought I'd find you here. - I heard the voice approaching and I didn't even bother to look at him. I just kept both eyes squeezed shut as well as my fingers on my head. - What did you think of my speech?

He was now sitting next to me, I could feel his perfume and his presence there so close.

- It was good. - I murmured.

- Good? That's it? I even mentioned your name there, as a great collaborator in the conception and execution of the event. - His tone was playful so I suspect he still doesn't know about my little incident. I slid my fingers down my head and lifted my body, finally bringing my gaze to his. - Are you okay?

- Yes. I'm sorry, I couldn't hear the whole speech.

- Are you sure everything is okay? Your eyes turn red like that when you're really mad at some-

- Why have you been helping Nayeon? - I cut straight to the point. After everything, the last thing I wanted was to mess around.

He changed his expression quickly, his eyes left mine as he tried to exhale the air heavily into his lungs.

- So you found out.

- I didn't find out, she just told me. In the worst possible way. - my tone carried all the irritation I was feeling and, surprisingly, he remained calm beside me.

- It's not like I owe you satisfaction in my life, darling. - he joked in the way people joke when they want to tell you a truth, but without hurting too much.

I squinted my eyes at him in disbelief. He was simply a pit of uncertainty, at times I convinced myself that he had changed, at times he returned to what I knew.

- I thought you were trying to gain my trust. – I replied.

- And I am.

- Bringing someone like Nayeon here, paying all her expenses and offering her a job at you company, without even mentioning anything to me, doesn't help at all.

- Poor thing, Mina, she had nowhere to go. The girl called me desperate after you, besides, I thought you would like having her here. You were so close.

- You hated her?!

- Yes, I wasn't the biggest fan of your friendship, but you liked it. I thought this would be a good way to redeem myself, for old times' sake.