In Good Company

The conversation with my father had taken a completely different turn than what I had expected when I went to meet him this morning. I wasn't ready for that, as much as I proved to be the most impassive person in the world, it wasn't always that I had the strength to keep up appearances and that definitely tripped me up.

I bitterly condemned myself for having shown weakness in front of that monster, I even cried. What was I thinking when I allowed myself to be so transparent? I wouldn't make that mistake again, not at all. Hope is persistent, it's brave, it's selfish, but it died inside me as soon as I stepped out of that building leaving all my mistakes and weaknesses behind. Things would be different now.

I arrived at Momo's apartment, grateful that I didn't find her there. As much as I felt like I needed, I didn't want to talk, but if she saw me in this condition, she would surely know something was wrong.

I took a cold shower to calm my nerves and lay down on the bed, my body was showing the strongest signs of tiredness and weariness, but I insisted on keeping my eyes open as much as possible, attentive to whatever program was on TV. I didn't even have the courage to pick up the remote on the bench to change the channel. When I finally gave in to sleep, my phone rang.

- Miss Myoui? - an unknown male voice. I took the phone away from my ear to look at the display, I didn't recognize the number.

- Who's that?

- I'm your father's lawyer, he sent me to resolve some issues. - I sighed in disbelief, I really scared him. - Is this a good time?

- Actually, this is a bad time. What about tomorrow? - I rubbed my eyes, my voice was already heavy with sleep.

- Can we meet for lunch then?

- Sure.

- See you tomorrow, miss.

I groaned something even I didn't understand and threw the phone on the floor, burying my head against the back of the couch. I don't know how long I was out, but the sky outside was already dark and the lull indicated it was after ten. I tossed and turned, feeling every inch of my body complain for the bad position I was in and for daring to sleep for so long in that cramped space. I ran my eyes around the room, looking for the tv, when I saw Momo sitting in the next chair lost in her thoughts.

- Moguri? - I called cautiously, I knew that expression. - Did something happen?

She seemed to wake up from her trance and looked at me desolately, the pain visible in her eyes even with all the darkness of the place. I woke up immediately putting myself in a sitting position when I saw that I wouldn't receive an answer if I didn't insist more.

- Momo? What happened? - Her eyes quickly filled with tears as if she had been fighting for a long time to keep them from coming out.

- Sana's grandfather - she paused almost dramatically, the visible struggle of her lips to finish the sentence - He passed away last night.

I felt my heart stop beating for a few long seconds when I heard that. My eyes widened as if I had witnessed everything there in front of me, at that very moment. Grandpa Saki, who was what he made us call him since we were little, was no longer among us and I felt the pain in a single thud, not having time to think about what had happened.

My mind then went straight to Sana, she must have been in so much pain, she was so attached to him. The two had a very beautiful relationship and were almost like father and daughter, I wouldn't even try to imagine how she was feeling right now.

I got to my feet almost abruptly deciding I was going to meet her, she needed me and it wouldn't be a fear of mine that would stop me from being by her side. Not after all this time away from her.