sneaking out💖

word count:573
maggie follows reader out and finds them relaxed in the woods
~~~

i slip through the gates, gun in hand and knife in my pocket. my bag was too heavy and hurt my back but i would just put up with it until i got where i was going.

although i didn't know if i would ever be able to come here again because every time i left, i felt watched. while i was out, i was always on edge.

i heard a twig snap behind me and my head whipped around. no one. not even a walker. maybe just a rabbit, but you can't be too sure.

i rose to my feet, creeping towards it, knife in my hand. just as i was about to retreat back to my spot on the log, i heard a shuffling from behind one of the trees.

i looked behind it, raising my knife ready to kill a walker but it was just maggie. she held her hands in front of her 'woah. it's only me. calm down.'

i let out a sight of relief as i walked back, plopping myself down on the log i was previously sat on. 'what do you want?'

i picked the book i had originally had up and made it look like i was reading. i just kept reading the same line over and over. all my focus was on maggie even if it didn't look that way.

'i just wanted to make sure your okay. i keep seeing you walk out. why do you keep coming out here?' she asked, lifting one side of my book to see what i was reading, to kill a mockingbird.

i sighed, turning to her 'i am just fine maggie. i know you are prone to worrying. and we've been best friends since we were tiny. but i'm fine and i can take care of myself. i promise.'

'well at least let me sit here with you.' she insisted, rummaging through my bag to find more books. she pulled out 1984 and began to read.

after a while, i got bored of my book. i rested my head on maggies shoulder. 'can you read to me?' i whispered, growing more tired by the second.

she began to read the words on the page no louder than a relaxing whisper. my eyelids felt even heavier and my body started to weaken and go limp as i drifted off.

just before i could, maggie took notice of my sleepy state. 'we should go back. we can't have you sleeping out here where it's dangerous.' she stroked the side of my head, kissing the top of it.

i smiled as i pulled myself up, lazily dragging my body to stand. she took my bag for me, throwing both books in and trowing the straps over her shoulders. 'oh my god. this is heavy how much do you have in here?' she joked, laughing after.

i chuckled 'yeah well every now and then i stay up all night out here and i just sit and read with a flashlight so i have both books, a massive flashlight, and food.'

we walked back in silence, me taking my bag and going straight to sleep when i got back. maggie stayed by my side as i went to sleep as she knew i always had trouble sleeping but just her presence calmed me.

it was probably the best day i had in ages, since before the whole world went to shit.

~~~
i'm such a simp for maggie i love her so much.
i'm not going to say it because you probably know what i'll say now lol🫶