ready for a relationship💕

word count:566
reader likes carol but she takes her time to come around to the idea
thanks to @Toga-Himi for the carol request
~~~

i knew it was wrong but i couldn't help it. i had been on the road with her for so long i felt a connection to her.

she always took care of me and helped me with everything. i understood that she was basically the mother of the group and everything she did was in a motherly context but it made me feel weak in the knees.

every time shed be walking beside me and our hands would brush against each other. every time i would say i felt sick and she'd touch my head with the back of her hand. every time i felt her touch i felt heat burning my cheeks from the inside.

we had finally stopped for the night. everyone was asleep other than the two of us. 'you okay sweetie?' she asked.

i looked up from the spot of grass i had been staring at for probably an hour at that point 'i'm good.'

she shuffled over to sit next to me 'you don't seem it.'

'can i ask you a question?'

'shoot.' she smiled as she pulled me into a side hug.

my head rested on her shoulder 'do you ever think about getting into a relationship?' i asked 'you know, with anyone else here?'

she sighed 'sweetie, you know everything i went through with ed. i really don't think i would feel comfortable incase i got into another situation like that.'

'oh okay.' i nodded. 'i might go to sleep, i'm super tired.'

'okay.' she kissed the top of my head before letting me rest my head on my folded blanket and drifting off.

-time skip-

some time had passed although it was hard to keep track of how long it had been. carol and i had recently gotten to the kingdom and it was nice here. we lived together in a little cabin. she was starting to grow her hair out too. it looked really nice.

it was a quiet night so we were sitting on the porch and we were playing checkers as that was the only game we could find and both play. there was also scrabble but i was crap when it came to spelling so i opted against it.

'hey do you remember when you asked me if i would ever think about being in a relationship?' she asked as she moved one of the pieces on the board.

my cheeks heated up 'no, when was that.'

'on the road to alexandria. you know, i'm not stupid. i know what you were hinting at. and now more time has passed, i think i might be ready to get into a new relationship with someone.'

'really that's cool.' i faked seeming chill while my mind was silently screaming and heart silently racing. 'is there anyone special here who has perhaps caught your lovely eye?'

'well.' she stood, coming to lean down beside me, 'there is actually. you wanna know who it is?'

i vigorously nodded.

she whispered in my ear 'it's you.' before planting a kiss on my cheek and one more on my head before disappearing into the house.

the blush rose to me cheeks as i exhaled in amazement. carol actually liked me? i couldn't believe it.

i decided not to spend too much time outside, letting my mind fuss over it before packing up the game and  went to join her inside.

~~~
i hope you liked i didn't really know what to write as i see her more motherly rather than romantically
let me know what you think🫶