Memory Jogger

Harper was finally awake. She had been in a car accident a few weeks beforehand and had been in a coma ever since. When Griffin Campbell, Harper's boyfriend of 3 years, got to the hospital, he got a surprise that he never expected. And he wasn't happy about it. 

He walked into the hospital room and saw Harper lying there, reading Little Women. 

"Hey Harp!" He exclaimed happily, smiling brightly. 

"Hi..." Harper said awkwardly. 

"Whats wrong babe?" Griffin asked his smile still bright. 

"Babe?" Harper asked. 

"Yeah....It's me Griffin. Right? Your...boyfriend?" He asked, his smile faltering. 

"Boyfriend? I don't even know you!" Harper exclaimed, confused. 

"Haha very funny Harp." Griffin chuckled. Harper looked at him blankly. 

"You're really not joking?" Griffin asked, heart dropping. Harper shook her head. Griffin felt tears well up in his eyes. 

"I'm really sorry......." Harper said, noticing his watery eyes. He shook his head, afraid to speak. He knew if he opened his mouth to speak, he would cry. He then turned and left the room. 

*********

About a week later, Griffin was back at the hospital. Turns out, the only person Harper remembered was her mom. She didn't even remember her own brother! Jess had reassured Griffin that she was trying to do everything she could to jog her memory. She had told Griffin to bring in pictures of the two so he could try as well. 

Griffin knocked on the door and saw Harper looking at a picture he knew by heart. The photo on Harper's nightstand. The one of her and her brother in her dad's yellow convertible. 

"Hey." Griffin said. 

"Hi sweetie. We're just looking at some pictures. Come in." Jess answered. 

He sat in a chair next to Jess. 

"Hey Harper. How are you?" He asked sadly. 

"I'm okay. You're Griffin right?" She asked. 

"You remember me?!" Griffin said, gaining hope. 

"Oh no sorry. My mom told me your name." Harper said awkwardly. 

"Oh." Griffin said, face falling. Jess laid a hand on his shoulder. 

"I will let you two hang out. Griffin has some pictures of you two to try and jog your memory." Jess explained. Harper nodded as Jess walked out. 

Harper noticed the upset look on Griffin's face as he rummaged through a folder full of pictures. 

"I'm really sorry." Harper apologized. 

"For what?" Griffin asked, looking up. 

"For not remembering you." Harper said. 

"It's not your fault." He muttered looking back down. Harper noticed he was holding back tears. She didn't say another word, realizing that he was upset. A few minutes later, he held out a picture.