Fireworks: Physically and Mentally

It had been a very successful summer so far for the Tremont. There was a wait list 4 pages long, business was booming, the springs were always busy, and Jess's restaurant was always busy. It was a big week for the Campbell's and Dunn's as they prepared the Tremont for the upcoming 4th of July party. It was finally the day of the party and at about 4 PM, Harper walked into the parlor. 

She walked behind her best friend Griffin who was checking guests in and covered his eyes with her hands. 

"Guess who!" She said. 

"Savannah!" Griffin exclaimed sarcastically. 

"You're a jerk." Harper said with a chuckle. She uncovered his eyes as he turned to face her. He smiled at her and waited for her to continue. 

"Your mom told me to tell you to start getting ready for the party." Harper said. 

"What about the front desk?" Griffin asked. 

"I'll take care of that." Bennett Sr. said, approaching the kids. 

"Grandpa!" Griffin exclaimed, giving his grandfather a hug. 

"Mr. Campbell? What are you doing here?" Harper asked with a smile. 

"Figured I'd come and help out for the biggest party in Louisiana." He responded with a smile. "Hello Harper." He said giving her a side hug. Griffin's grandfather had changed big time. He was always down to help out around the Tremont and he loved his grandson's best friend like his own granddaughter. 

"Anyways, you two best go get ready for this party!" He exclaimed. The kids looked at each other and smiled before running up the stairs to their respective bedrooms. 

*******

About 20 minutes later, Sarah stood at the bottom of the stairs, arm in arm with Ben, waiting for the kids. Zoey and Wyatt came prancing down the stairs followed by Topher all whispering to each other about God knows what. Then came Griffin, looking cuter than ever in his ripped jeans, light red button up, and white air forces. 

Griffin smiled as Harper walked down the stairs with her mother. She looked beautiful. She was wearing jean shorts and a red and white striped off the shoulder top. She had white vans on and her hair was in two braids. Ben noticed him staring and nudged his sons shoulder. 

"Play it cool Campbell." He whispered. Griffin blushed a deep shade of pink. 

"Okay everyone! Who's ready for the party?" Sarah asked. 

They all cheered and stepped onto the front porch where all of the guests were gathered on the front lawn. 

"Hello everyone and we are so glad you decided to stay at the Tremont for this 4th of July!" Ben exclaimed. 

"We will be having so many fun things to do including, free cocktails at our in hotel restaurant, slip'n'slides, lawn games, and a campfire later tonight!" Jess explained. 

"And don't miss the beautiful fireworks show beginning at 9PM tonight put on by my husband and father in law!" Sarah exclaimed. 

"And with that...." Ben began. 

"Let the party begin!" Everyone exclaimed. 

*********

A few hours later, the party was in full swing. Griffin and Harper were currently playing beanbag toss against Topher and Wyatt while Zoey sipped a lemonade in a hammock nearby. 

They played games, swam in the springs, had a couple VERY competitive games of soccer and volleyball, and ate the special snacks that Jess had made for the occasion. At about 7PM, Griffin and Harper were sitting by the campfire, engaging in small talk with a few guests while munching on hot dogs. Once a yummy dinner of hot dogs, hamburgers, and moonpies and a delicious dessert of s'mores, everyone was crowded onto the front lawn of the Tremont for the fireworks. The show was set to begin in 15 minutes and Griffin was grabbing himself and Harper a soda when he felt a tap on the shoulder. 

He turned around to see.....Savannah? 

"Savannah? What are you doing here?" Griffin whispered scoldingly. 

"Can we talk?" Savannah asked urgently. Griffin nodded and set the drinks down on a nearby table before sneaking Savannah up to his room. He closed the door and locked it before turning to her. 

"They're gonna miss me in two minutes. What's wrong?" Griffin asked. 

"Confess." Savannah stated. 

"Sorry, what?" Griffin asked. 

"Confess to Harper." She elaborated. 

"About what?" Griffin played dumb. 

"You know what I mean Griffin. I know you like her and I happen to know that she likes you. Take her to the treehouse to watch the fireworks and as soon as they go off, confess to her. It'll be perfect!" Savannah exclaimed. 

"You came all the way here just for this?" Griffin asked. Savannah nodded. Griffin sighed. 

"Okay fine. But get out of here before someone else sees you." Griffin instructed. 

********

It was now 3 minutes till show time and Griffin and Harper were now looking at the sky from the treehouse. 

"This was a great idea Griff." Harper smiled. Griffin smiled and fidgeted with his hands. 

"Why do you look so nervous?" Harper asked. 

"No reason." Griffin said. 

********

When the fireworks began, Griffin admired the look of awe on Harper's face as she watched the colors explode into the sky. 

"Harper?" Griffin asked. She turned to look at him and raised an eyebrow in a questioning manner. 

"I love you." He blurted out. He slapped his hand over his mouth and closed his eyes. Harper chuckled. 

"I love you too." Harper said. 

"Like....more than friends?" Griffin asked nervously. 

Harper kissed him lightly. 

"What do you think?" Harper asked. 

"I don't know, care to demonstrate once more?" Griffin asked hopefully. Harper playfully smacked his arm but eventually gave in. 

All the couple knew was that the color's in the sky weren't the only fireworks happening that night. 

If you guys have any suggestions let me know! WORD COUNT: 966