Singles you Up

This song is based off of Jordan Davis'  song "Singles You Up" which can be found above. Griffin and Harper are 16 and it is their 10th grade Homecoming. Harper came with her new boyfriend Mitch, and Griffin performs his new song! 

Griffin Campbell fixed his red tie and straightened his hair before taking a deep breath. He looked onto the stage that he was about to perform on. People were dancing and screaming songs that the DJ had playing and his eyes widened, just now realizing how many people were actually here. His eyes scanned the room for a certain familiar face. He smiled as he found his best friend, Harper Dunn among the crowd, laughing and dancing with her friends, looking downright gorgeous in her black sparkly dress with lacy long sleeves. 

He turned around to his friend, Luke who was tuning his guitar. 

"How much time till we perform?" Griffin asked. 

"Like 10 minutes. Go talk to her." Luke assured with a light smile, knowing exactly why Griffin was asking. Griffin cracked a smile. 

"Thanks, dude." Griffin said. He walked out into the large gym of Sulphur Springs high school and walked over to Harper and another boy. This must be the boyfriend Griffin's heard so much about. Griffin playfully ran into Harper and stumbled backwards jokingly. 

"Hey, watch it!" Griffin joked. Harper smiled, turning to see her best friend. The boy glared at Griffin and stepped forward. 

"Watch where your going." He warned, mean tone shining through. Griffin's face fell and he turned bright red. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it, we just..." Griffin stuttered out. 

"Mitch, calm down. This is Griffin Campbell, my best friend. He was just messing around." Harper reassured, smiling at Griffin. 

"Oh. You're the Tremont kid." Mitch said nonchalantly. Griffin nodded shyly. 

"Yeah, that's me." Griffin mumbled. Mitch held out his hand and Griffin reluctantly dabbed him up. Well this certainly wasn't the kind of guy that Griffin thought Mitch would be, but as long as Harper's happy. Boy, did she look happy. Too happy maybe. "Well, I have to go perform now, but I'll see you later." Harper nodded. 

"Perform?" Mitch asked, kind of rudely. 

"Y-yeah, I'm a singer songwriter. New song, school board asked me to perform for hoco." Griffin explained, feeling way shyer than he wished. 

"Cool." Mitch said, sounding bored. Griffin nodded meekly. 

"Good luck, Griff!" Harper exclaimed, playfully punching him in the arm. 

"Thanks, Harp. Have fun, you two." He said. He quickly walked backstage, wanting to be anywhere but there. Luke looked over at Griffin anxiously as he flopped onto the small couch. 

"You good, bro?" He asked. 

"Harper's boyfriend is an asshole." Griffin sighed. 

"Are you just saying that because you like her too?" Luke asked. Griffin quickly sat up. 

"No, I don't like Harper like that." Griffin protested. Luke raised an eyebrow. 

"Then who's the song for?" Luke asked, knowing the answer. 

"Mariah." Griffin lied. He was a HORRIBLE liar. 

"Dude, you and I both know that that was just what you told Harper so she wasn't suspicious." Luke said. Griffin sighed. 

"Okay, whatever, I do like her. A lot. But her boyfriend is ACTUALLY a dick." Griffin said with an eye roll. 

"Well, you ready?" Luke asked. Griffin took a deep breath before nodding.