manes praeterita

Childhood should be a time of innocence, wonder, safety, and love - the foundation we need to get right if we want a thriving world. But too often, the world forgets that children need protection above all else. They don't need to be proven right; they need to be kept safe.

On a dark, deserted highway, a gentle wind flowed through the air as a section of trees separated the road, giving birth to a vast forest. The trees spun tight like a fisherman's net, and the owls hooted as if calling their dark master to return home.

Two sisters trudged through the forest, running from their absolute nightmare. April, the older sister, could feel her heart beating fast in her chest, her breaths coming in short, ragged gasps. Her younger sister clung tightly to her hand, their fingers intertwined as they tried to flee from the horror that pursued them.

As they ran, April's thoughts raced wildly, each one more terrifying than the last. She tried to keep her fear at bay, but it was a losing battle. She couldn't let her sister see her panic. She had to be strong for both of them. But inside, she felt like a little girl lost in the woods, desperate for someone to save her.

Her younger sister was trembling beside her, her eyes wide and scared. April could feel the weight of her sister's fear pressing against her, threatening to break her resolve. She knew that she had to protect her, no matter what. She couldn't bear the thought of losing her sister, of leaving her alone in this cruel world.

Finally, they stopped. "You need to run. I will hold them off," April said, turning around to face their pursuers. She rested her forehead against her sister's, trying to memorize every detail of her face. She wanted to remember this moment forever, to hold onto it as a lifeline when things got tough.

But her sister shook her head. "We were, are, and will be together," she said, her voice trembling but determined. "I won't leave you."

April's heart swelled with love for her sister. She knew that she couldn't protect her forever, but she would try. She would fight tooth and nail to keep her safe, even if it meant sacrificing herself.

"No, there is no time. If you escape, at least one of us will be alive," April said, her voice breaking. She couldn't believe that she was asking her sister to leave her, to abandon her in the face of danger. But she had no other choice. It was the only way to give her sister a chance at survival.

"I don't want to leave," her sister cried, tears streaming down her face.

April pulled her sister close, hugging her tightly. She could feel her own tears falling now, hot and salty, against her cheeks. She didn't want to let go, but she knew that she had to.

She released her sister from her embrace, unhooked the necklace with a Virgin Mary medallion around her neck, and placed it in her sister's hand, closing her fingers around it. "When you want to see me, hold this and think of me. I will be there," she said, her voice thick with emotion. "I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU."

Her sister nodded; her eyes still filled with tears. "Now go, don't wait for me," April said, pushing her sister away. She grabbed a log resting at her foot and waited for the monsters to show up.

As her sister ran, April watched her go, her heart breaking into a million pieces. She knew that she might not make it out.

The younger sister didn't want to leave April's side, but she knew deep down that she had to go. Tears streamed down her face as she looked back at April, who was now standing tall with the log in her hand, ready to fight off the monsters. The younger sister's heart was heavy with fear, sadness, and a sense of betrayal. She felt like she was leaving April to fend for herself, and she didn't know if she would ever see her again.

As she ran, she clutched the Virgin Mary medallion tightly in her hand, the only thing she had left of her sister. She didn't know how long she had been running, but she could still hear the sounds of the monsters and April's screams in the distance. Her heart was pounding with a mix of fear and hope, hope that she would survive and see April again.

Finally, she stumbled upon a small cabin in the woods, and she knew she had to take refuge there. As she hid in the cabin, her thoughts of April and the horrors she must be facing alone consumed her mind. She felt guilty for leaving her behind, and her heart ached with sadness and worry.

Days turned into weeks, and a group of hikers who stumbled upon the cabin eventually rescued the younger sister. But even after she was safely returned to civilization, she couldn't shake the memories of that fateful night in the woods. Every night, she would clutch the medallion and pray for April's safety, hoping against hope that she would find her again.

Years went by, and the younger sister grew up, but she never forgot about April. And every day, she wore the Virgin Mary medallion around her neck, a reminder of the sister she lost and the love that had sustained her through the darkest of times.