Chapter 28

Zyler sat at his desk, surrounded by screens displaying stock prices, news updates, and security camera footage. He was deep in thought, reviewing the numbers and analyzing market trends, his mind always looking for new opportunities. He was about to finish his next task, but his thoughts weren't cooperating with him. His mind was in his house, where the certain allure of his resided. He didn't have it in him to leave her, but he couldn't just sit with her at his house. He had work to do. A knock at the door interrupted his thoughts, but Cole walked in with hurried steps before he could answer the door.

Zyler didn't lift his head, but he knew it was Cole. "What's the rush Cole?" he chuckled.

"I think we have a problem," Cole declared, his tone urgent.

Zyler looked up from his computer, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. "What kind of problem?" he demanded, his voice clipped and cold.

"It's Eric. He is here," Cole's information made Zyler groan in annoyance. This pest has become troublesome.

"Why is he here? And now?" Zyler raised his brow.

"He's been asking around about you. I think he wants to prove something," Cole stood with his feet apart, like a soldier before his king.

"Everyone wants to prove something these days, Cole. That's how the puny human mind works," he turned to his computer and clicked something on it, looking at Eric sitting in the lobby.

"Zyler's eyes narrowed with annoyance like a predator sizing up unworthy prey. 'This pest,' he spat, his words infused with a smoldering contempt that seared through the air like a scorching flame."

"Let him be. He can do nothing," he turned around to dismiss Cole, but sighed.

"I know, but this time it's different," Cole stressed, his voice urgent. "He's got a new partner, and they're starting to put the pieces together."

Zyler leaned back in his chair. His fingers steepled in front of him as he thought. "What do we know about this partner of his?" he inquired, his voice calm and measured.

"Not much, but we're working on it," Cole said, his voice tense. "We think he might be a highly skilled and dangerous ex-military guy."

Zyler's lips curled into a smirk. "Sounds like my kind of guy," he quipped, his eyes glinting with amusement. "What do you say, Cole? Should I bait Eric?" he wiggled his brows. Cole did not answer, confused and stumped. "Send Eric in," his voice full of excitement.

"Sure," Cole nodded to let Eric in.

Eric walked into Zyler's office, his eyes scanning the luxurious space with contempt. He had been investigating Zyler for months and was nowhere getting closer to finding the evidence he needed to put him behind bars. "I see a few days in England did you well. "You are glowing," Eric commented, pulling a chair for himself.

"I didn't ask you to sit," Zyler's distaste for Eric was clear as a day. "I prefer my visitors standing. It makes them sharp," Zyler relaxed, making himself comfortable in his chair. Eric completely ignored Zyler and took a seat opposite him.

"To what do I owe this displeasure," Zyler ignored the man sitting before him and went back to doing his work.

Eric's voice dripped with contempt as he leaned forward, his fingers drumming a menacing beat on Zyler's desk. "Let's cut the bullshit, shall we? You've killed people, Zyler. Innocent people and got away with it. He grinned savagely, relishing the look of anger that flitted across the other man's face. "Ingram, Brandon, the FBI agents...ring a bell?" His fingers tapped out the names in time with his words, a staccato rhythm that echoed through the silent room. Zyler's jaw clenched, a vein bulging in his neck as he fought to maintain his composure.