Chapter 88

Autumn and Zyler rushed out to the garden. The gunshot startled them. Autumn's heart stopped looking at April's blood-soaked hands. "Rilley," she yelled, running to her sister's side. "Are you hurt? Did he hurt you?" she examined her sister in a hurry.

"No, he......" April found it difficult to form words. "He shot himself," she pointed at Liam. Zyler and Autumn looked at Liam's unconscious body, blood still seeping out of his wound. Zyler looked impassive, while Autumn was shocked.

"We need to get to the hospital," she hiccupped. "Please," she started wiping her hands on the floor like a madwoman. The blood was scaring her.

"Rilley, stop," she grabbed April's hands, preventing her from hurting herself further.

"Hospital," Autumn looked at Zyler, and he rolled his eyes.

"Do we have to save him?" Zyler asked with a shrug, sitting nonchalantly on the bench and crossing his legs. Honestly, Mother Earth doesn't seem too bothered by the sight. It gives the place a bit of drama, don't you think?"

April looked over at Autumn, her eyes wet with tears.

"Zy, not the time," Autumn scolded.

"Come on, baby, don't be a buzz kill. Lighten up, please," Zyler groaned, standing up reluctantly. He whipped out his phone with a flourish.

"Fine, I'll call the cavalry." He dialed his security team, adding, "Yeah, could you pick up our little damsel in distress here? And hurry before he stains my floor further." Moments later, his team arrived, whisking Liam off to the hospital.

"I will go with you," Autumn told April as she guided her to the ambulance. There was no way in hell she would let her sister go alone.

Zyler threw a tantrum like a child. "Must we save him?" he asked her again.

"Zy," Autumn shook her head. "Sometimes you act 5. Do you know that?"

"And?" he shrugged.

"Not now. I will deal with you later," she had conflicted feelings about saving Liam. But she would do what she April wanted.

"Trust me, I am waiting," he winked.

"Now?" She understood what he was implying.

"Please, if you think that I would care about that fucker, you are mistaken, darling. The only reason I called an ambulance is because of your sister," Zyler couldn't care less if Liam died.

She didn't say anything as she herself wasn't sure how to feel about this. They reached the hospital soon, and April ran after the doctors while they wheeled him into the operating room.

She sat in the chair while Autumn sat next to him. "I will be your death," she remembered when she challenged Liam, and she became his death. She cannot live with herself if she is responsible for his death. She wasn't a murderer and didn't want to be one.

"It's okay, April. I think he will be fine," She put her sister's head on her shoulder.

After 30 minutes, the doctor came out of the room and told them that Liam was out of danger. The news of Liam getting shot spread quickly as he was still a senator, and the media swarmed the hospital like locusts.

"He is out of danger. We pulled the bullet out. But it will take a while for him to recover," the doctor announced, peeling off his gloves and tossing them into the trash.

"Bummer," Zyler chimed in nonchalantly. "Guess he'll miss bikini season, huh?" Autumn shot him a sharp glare, her concern evident. She worried that April might misunderstand Zyler's quirky humor, especially since her sister's approval meant so much to Autumn.