Chapter 37

"What are you thinking?" he asked, kissing her neck with a grin.

Autumn had no answer to give. What would she even say? She fell into the hands of dangerous men. She knew about Zyler, but she didn't know about Matt. What he does or what he even is. What did he do? And if a man like Zyler could lie to him, what did that mean for her?

"Autumn," his voice turned desperate. "What are you thinking?"

She stared at him, her eyes guarded and wary, struggling to keep her emotions in check. Every fiber of her being wanted to lash out at him. But she didn't. He looked deep in thought.

Zyler's fingers traced the line of her jaw, and he leaned in to whisper in her ear, "Are you thinking about Matt? About what I told you?"

Autumn shivered under his touch and the softness in his voice. This side of him was new to her. She had only known the rough, domineering Zyler, the one who was almost monster-like in his intensity.

She met his gaze, searching for something in his dark eyes. There was a tenderness there that she had never seen before, and it made her heart skip a beat, not in excitement, but in doubt. She wondered if this was the real Zyler or just another mask he wore to manipulate her.

"As much as I love to lie and fake things, whatever I told you about Matt was true," he caged her more into the wall, pressing himself all into her being. She felt as if he was trying to mingle her body with his.

"Why am I even here?" she probed.

"Ah! My little Dahlia is curious now, is she?" Zyler clamped his teeth on her shoulder, shaking with a need to both bring pleasure and draw blood from her body. She hissed, her body turning rigid. Why does he keep biting her?

"This pretty little head thinks too much, doesn't it?" he tapped her temple with his forefinger. "Don't ask too many questions. Just enjoy the ride, and I promise to make it worth your while." He leaned in further, and his breath tickled her ear. "I'm a man of my word, after all." He resumed his assault, digging his teeth deeper into her shoulder, sucking on the flesh along with her bra straps.

"If it concerns me. I have the right to know," she demanded with the same amount of arrogance. He took the elastic band into his mouth, tautening it before releasing it with a sharp snap against her shoulder. She flinched, feeling the pain as the tight straps dug into her skin like a million needles.

"Why do you torture these so much, baby?" he squeezed them with desire while eating her neck up. "You pack them in tight," he wrung them like he tried to squeeze their life out. Autumn was taken aback by the shamelessness of the man before her. She couldn't believe how brazenly he acted without a shred of decency or self-restraint.

His Dahlia has a way of pushing all of his buttons. His sucking, biting, and digging sounds echoed in the room. Her mind rushed into chaos, imagining the worst. If someone walked in, she would be royally rotten.

"Ignorance is bliss, Autumn. I would love to keep you in bliss, be it with my tongue or my fingers," he trailed his fingers to her creamy thighs. She clutched his forearm, asking him to stop. "You overthink and ask too many questions, and that's what got my attention in the first place, don't you know?" His warm voice chuckled.

She wanted to ask more, to ask him to let her go, but memories of him holding a gun to her head still remained fresh in her mind. "In my world, people who ask questions and dig for information disappear without a trace," a warning stood clear in his tone.
"But you should be careful, Autumn," he warned, his voice low and ominous.

"Because once something belongs to me, it never belongs to anyone else. And I will do whatever it takes to protect what's mine." He held her gaze steadily, his eyes dark and intense, making it clear that he was deadly serious.