Chapter 14

Autumn headed home from the library. Her driving faltered as her attention was not on her hands or the road; she was lost in sadness and pain. Her head got stuck on the words that Peggy spoke. "She lit up the room when she walked in," If Georgina was still alive, she might have had a beautiful life, and her mother wouldn't have had to deal with the pain. Autumn was sure Georgina would have made a difference in the world.

"Why do innocent women have to suffer for no fault of theirs? Was living like they wanted their fault? Was existence their fault?" she mumbled under her breath. Georgina had her whole life ahead that summer; she accepted that job but got nipped in the bud.

"I am sorry, Georgina," her heart bled for that woman. "I just hope you are peaceful wherever you are," a teardrop escaped her face. She had hoped that the girl's death was peaceful and that she died without much struggle. She wondered if April had the same fate or was alive. Guilt coursed through her when she thought about her sister. "Please keep her safe with you, lord," she closed her eyes for a second and prayed for Georgina's soul and April's wellbeing.

The girl momentarily forgot that she was driving, and unfortunately for her, she did not see the man walking by her. The grip on her handles loosened, and after a sharp drop, she tumbled and hit the man in his groin. She toppled over and touched the ground, and so did the man. "Ow," she groaned as her knees scratched and her head touched the ground. She didn't know what had happened and realized she had fallen.

Autumn couldn't help the bubble of happy laughter that escaped. The girl had a habit of laughing to death if someone fell, even if it was her. She touched her stomach and let out laughter until her eyes rained with tears. She only stopped when she heard the man groan.

"Oh damn," she got up and ran toward him, "are you okay, sir?" she inspected him for any injuries. The man sat there clutching his groin.

"My children," he bit his lip while Autumn tried to control her laughter. Her bad habit of laughing in serious situations is going to get her in some serious trouble someday. "Oh, my god, I think you rendered me infertile. You hit me in the balls," he began rolling on the floor. "My children," he started wailing.

Autumn pendulated her hand before his face. "Are you okay?" she gave him his hand to take, and he raised his eyes to meet hers, and as if something clicked in his head, he looked fascinated. The man snapped out of his daze and said, "huh?" he couldn't believe how pretty the girl was. The girl was so beautiful. So warm and innocent. He had never seen someone like her in his life.

"Are you okay? I mean, I crashed into you," she picked up her bike and scolded herself for not putting her helmet on.

"I don't know. I have to go home and look," he still had his hand on his groin. "Look at what?" Autumn shook her head, not wanting to know what he was talking about. "You crashed into my future kids," he wouldn't let that topic go. The bike's headlight got him right in the shins. Got him good too.

"Um, may I know your name?" he stopped and asked her while she was still checking for his wounds.

"Um..." she did not want to respond, skeptical about telling a stranger her name, but of course, what harm would befall her? Nothing, so she told him, "Autumn," she did not extend her hands.

"A pretty name for a pretty girl," he complimented, flushing her cheeks. She was blushing hard. He could tell she was flattered too. She was that obvious. The girl wasn't used to getting many of them as a child and did not believe when someone complimented her, but somehow this guy seemed genuine.

"May I know your name?" she asked, wiping her bike seat. Was she interested in knowing his name? No, but she didn't want to be rude. It was only a polite thing to do.