Friendship - beyond the edge of the World!

I walked down the ever bustling streets of the streets of the capital of Lugnica.

Carefully maneuvering my way through the crowd and skillfully avoiding hitting into anyone that walked across the road.

The sun shone brightly in the sky as the light glistened on the tiles of the road. My 'vision' was occupied by a myriad of colors, each of which shone beautifully with a transparent brilliance. This was my mana sense working in full throttle.

I looked towards the distant horizon where I could feel the very familiar magical frequencies of Rem and Subaru. In fact, I could feel the magic frequencies of the entire capital and distinguish between them now. Such was the extent of my Mana Sense.

Expertly maneuvering my way through the crowd, with Ken following closely behind me, I reached closer and closer to the area which had Rem and Subaru in it.

I could feel that Subaru, was in fact running away from Rem, for whatever reason; and this action would have in fact confused the maid.

In the midst of the crowd of people, I saw a small head of blue between them.

As I continued to move closer, I could feel her turn towards me, as if already knowing I was there.

Without too much time, we both met on the road and the clear blue eyes of Rem came into view.

"Aletio-kun! Subaru-kun ran off!" She said, her voice panicking. I could tell she was uneasy; in the time we had spent in the mansion, she had come to care of the both of us. Though she payed some 'special' attention on me, but she took care of Subaru as an elder sister caring for her brother.

"What should we do? How will we know where he went?" She asked. Her eyes were about to trail off once again before I held her by the shoulders.

"Rem." I said with a calm voice. "Calm down. Tell me what happened."

As I held her shoulders, Rem turned a shade of red, which deeply contrasted with the light color of her blue hair and eyes. But within that creeping blush, I could feel her entire figure relax in my hands. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, as if to calm herself down.

She opened her eyes again and spoke up, "Aletio-kun..." she called out to me, prompting me to pay more attention than I already was, both of us completing ignoring Ken who stood behind me.

"While we were shopping for groceries, in front of the appa shop, Subaru suddenly just.. stopped. And then he kneeled down to the ground and started crying." She continued "He was completely fine before, but suddenly became like that. When I asked him what was wrong, he suddenly ran off and I lost him in the crowd."

Listening to her words, an image formed in my head about what might have happened. This also made me realize, just how damaging and deteriorating Return by Death can be upon Subaru's mental health. The moment he dies, he goes back in time, and no remembers anything that happens. All that's left is him in a world where people will never remember his sacrifices.

All the pain that slowly eats away at his willpower, having to witness people dying around him and never being able to share it with anyone; for if he tried so, the shadowy hand of death slowly crushes his heart.

Realizing this fact also made me realize how much of an idiot I had been. I had always treated Subaru like a friend, but I also looked at him with pity. It was not conscious but rather, an act of my subconscious self; which was the reason I wanted to make him stronger, so that he could better take care of himself and protect the others around him.

But now, when I finally think deeply about his position in the grand scheme of things. I come to find that he doesn't need anyone's pity. He might want it, but he doesn't need it. What he needs, is someone to share his pain with. Someone to share his feelings with. Someone that understands him. Someone that supports his decision.