Chapter one

Amelia's Pov
"Lia answer the damn phone before she calls me too," Ava, my little sister says nagging me and i don't know whether to listen to her or let her experience how annoying mom was with calling every five minutes to see if I had gotten on the next train. Ava was living with me in London but after i broke off my engagement i decided to go back to Italy for a while to which she was reluctant about. She was still in college here and i was fine with letting her stay at my house instead of the dorms despite her wanting to have both experiences.

She wasn't the party type and i was grateful because i didn't have to worry about her constantly. "Hey mom,I just got to Paris and the next train is in an hour,"i say before she asks. "Okay just call me if anything happens,"she says hanging up. My parents weren't happy that i threw away my four year relationship because of a hunch that it wasn't the right decision. "I'm gonna go back to the hotel before Mrs Gero notices I'm gone,"Ava says kissing my cheek and hurries away. She was in Paris for a school trip and wanted to see me before I left. I had already bought a ticket and checked bags in so decided to get food. I'm stuffing my face with a tuna sandwich when my phone rings showing a name i dreaded.

"Is everything okay Bria?" I ask because she hasn't called me since that night. "Ava told me you're leaving," she says sounding tired. "You couldn't even think to call me and tell me this?" She asks and i can already picture her clenching her jaw. Brianna was my first in so many things and i loved her but the more our relationship grew the more i saw right through her. "Bria i need sometime away from all this..from you,"i say rubbing my temples that i have to explain myself even though we're never getting back together. She was in denial but i felt relieved that i finally walked away. "Okay," she says hanging up and I can't tell if she meant it or not.

When it's time i grab my stuff and get on the sleeper train knowing I'll be asleep for most of the journey. It's not that i wasn't fond of traveling, i was but right now i didn't want to be in my head. I didn't want to question my life choices because i knew I'd take her back. After making sure i was properly set i take a nap because of how tired i was and i needed to recharge on this 10 hour trip. I was lucky my clients were disciplined and i didn't need me to constantly handle their lawsuits with me being a corporate lawyer.

When i get up it's already dark and I'm hungry so i move to the small cafe on the train where luckily they serve Italian food. It was always hard to explain my being a black Italian woman to literally everyone else. They'd constantly ask where i was from even after telling them i was born and raised in Italy. "Can I please have the pasta with extra cheese ?" I say unbothered to even check the price. This was supposed to be a stress free trip and that is exactly what it would be. I enjoyed the pasta but it wasn't as good as the one the Italian restaurants had.

I barely had pasta in London unless i called mom to walk me through her recipe when i wasn't swamped with files at the office. I hated taking work home because it was a stress free zone for me and Brianna hated seeing me work in bed.  I take a picture and send it to Ava because we always updated each other. It was a trick i came up with so I'd know where she was and with who  without having to break her trust. I didn't have friends of my own there because all the ones i had were content with their lives in Italy. I head to the bar once I'm certain i can handle it.

I get a drink once I'm sitting on one of the free stools and I'm ready to ask when a man approaches me replacing the female bartender. "It's on the house Miss,"he says coyly and i contemplate drinking it but i do eventually. I end up liking it and having another one and yet another one. "Damn do you want to talk about it," a sexy voice says with her half English half Italian accent evident as she hands me a glass of water. I hadn't even noticed that the male bartender was already on the other other side serving other people. I look up to see the most breathtaking woman I've ever laid eyes on.

Her black hair held up in a messy but neat bun revealing her well done undercut. Her eyes are mesmerizingly green and a sleeve tattoo that disappears to where the folded sleeves of her black shirt stop making me frown abit. "Nope I'm good,"i say popping the P. I wasn't just about to open up to her despite the few drinks i had. "It's a long ride and you sure could use it,"she says leaning on the counter throwing a small white towel over her right shoulder. It amazed me how unphased i was despite her being this hot. Maybe it's because it had only been a week since the break up and i still somewhat had feelings for Brianna, to even look at someone else in that way.

"Okay fine I'll talk but on one condition, you keep your personal details to yourself and i do the same. No names,no addresses no phone numbers etc,"i say sternly because there'd be no harm in talking to a stranger you'd never see again."Deal," she says putting out her hand for me to shake with a huge smirk on her face. "Okay so i recently broke of an engagement with a person i thought was my forever and the worst part is I don't feel as bad about it as i should so now I'm running away from it to my parents for a while because i thought i had it all figured out, great job, a house, and a fiancee.

But i realise now that i need to let myself be free and adventurous. I've only been with one person for this long what if there's more out there,"i finish, downing the water to sober up abit so i don't overshare. "How long was this relationship?"she asks as if trying to figure something out. "Four years, we met on my last year of college,"i say reminiscing how smitten i was when we first met. When she offered to do my notes so i can get enough sleep despite her having work in the morning because she was out in the world. Sometimes i wondered why she was interested in me despite me being in college and her already done and running her own tech company. "That's a really long time to suddenly quite on it," she says making me role my eyes at the comment. "I don't need your judgement," i say getting up abruptly.

To everyone else it was about the time but to me it was more than that. I wasn't happy and no one had asked me that. "I was just being a good listener. If i was to speak my mind on it I'd say you did something brave. Wanting more for yourself than what the person is giving you is allowed. Were you happy?" She asks making me stop in my tracks and turn to face her. I walk back to the seat surprised that she asked me that. "Honestly i wasn't but i loved the person more than my own happiness. Thank you for asking me"i say genuinely and she shrugs.

I had no questions to ask her because she looked like this adventurous daring woman that shook up a room once their presence was noticed. I wondered why she was working on a train.

"Why are you working on a train really, you don't seem like the type,"

"that's a personal question and what do train workers look like to you hmm?" She asks arching her brow and i immediately want to take back my words. "Less hot and curious,"i say flattering her ego so she'd stop being intimidating but she doesn't buy it.

She just analyses me and goes back to her normal warm self wiping the glasses. "Do you do this often, pick out ladies and give them free drinks then ask about their mental wellbeing?" I ask cheekily and she leans on the counter making eye contact with her green orbs. "Only the first drink was free,"she says winking and i can't tell if she's flirting or clarifying,either way her point was made. I feel my eyes get droopy but i can't help but want to keep talking to her. It distracted me from everything else and quite frankly i enjoyed her bluntness. She didn't say things i wanted to hear but for what they were.