Chapter thirty six

Amelia's Pov
When i get to the hospital there's commotion in Fabiana's room. "what's happening?" I ask worriedly. "She started calling out to some Amelia before she got unstable,"one of the nurses says as they help push her out of the room with the rest talking in hospital language. I follow them but get pulled back because I'm not allowed in to the emergency room. "Is she going to be okay?" I ask the doctor and he hesitates before talking, "we'll do the best we can,"he says following the rest and leaving me outside there to wait for any update. I can feel my anxiety peaking so i rush outside to get some fresh air because of how suffocated i feel. How restless all this is making me. I decide to go back in when I'm sure i can handle it realising that this was what Fabiana was doing, pulling herself together because if she didn't everything would fall apart.

"Your wife is stable and might wake up any second so i suggest you're close to her when she does,"he says walking with me back to her room where she's on the ventilator again. I thank him and go in to seat next to her. I can only try to understand what she must have gone through growing up. All alone no friends, no flunking classes or detention, no play dates. Maybe that's why she wanted a child so bad. So she can experience all this through them. The grip on my hand tightens getting my attention. She's waking up. "Fabi?"i call out and she stirs awake analysing her surroundings.

"Who are you and what am I doing here?" She asks furrowing her eyebrows and I'm not sure if i need to give her a second to process or stop this trick she's trying to play on me. "I'm Amelia, your wife?"i say unsure of which way she'd remember me. "I'm sorry -what?you're telling me you're my wife?..how did that happen?" She asks as if i was saying the impossible. I'm about to say something when the door opens revealing miss Gianni, her siblings and hospital security. "Fabiana you're awake!!" Haviana squeals rushing to her side but I'm not surprised she remembers her own sister. "Mom what is going on?" She asks still confused. "This woman here is trying to take all your money by lying she's married to you. My daughter would never marry someone like you!"she spits and i look over to Fabiana with hope that she can at least remember something but she doesn't.

"Is this true?" She asks me then looks over to the rest in the room.

"Ofcourse it isn't the last thing i want is your money,"

"Then why did you lie that you two were married?" Haviana asks bitterly and i conclude that Gianni found out but told her the bitter version of it. "I don't want this woman near my daughter or this hospital is that clear?" She asks the security guards and they nod approaching me. "Mom where's dad? "She asks as if she doesn't remember how hard it was for her to cope when he died forgetting my presence. I look over to her one last time to find her already looking at me as if there's familiarity in my eyes. I walk out not willing to cause a scene especially now that she just woke up. If she doesn't remember me or her dad dying that means there's little chances of her remembering what we had.

I head to the car i came in, one that belongs to Fabiana and drive to Ophelia's before i return it. I don't even know how I feel about anything right now."she's awake and doesn't remember you but remembers that-" "she's her mother Ophelia,"i say taking a huge gulp of water. "So what's going to happen now?" I don't know. I'm going over to her house hopefully my stuff isn't ruined and crash here for the night if that's okay,"i say and she kisses my forehead giving my shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"It's more than okay sweetie,"she says. All the hope i had was crushed and thrown out the window the minute she looked at me and couldn't see past my unfamiliar face. I wonder what lies her mother was feeding her. Once I'm done processing with Ophelia reassuring me everything was going to be okay i decide to drive back to the house but end up being stopped by a police vehicle. This has never happened before because i always drove cautiously to the point where i didn't need to carry my driver's license all the time. "Good evening ma'am, we got a call about a missing car matching your cars description. Your driver's license and ID?"He asks through the open side mirror and i take out my ID.

"I don't carry my driver's license around but i can show you a picture?" I say but he's already muttering something in his radio. "I need you to step out of the car please,"he says and i do as requested. He quickly spins me around cuffing me without warning. "You're under arrest for stealing this car from the owner...."he says but I'm already in my head asking so many questions. Stealing? Why would I steal a car when i have one myself? When i get in the back seat he makes a phone call. "We got her, she was on the run,"he says and it's not making any sense to me from how eagerly waiting i was,for the woman I've Fallen madly in love with to wake up a criminal.

The police station is busy but i wouldn't know any better because I've never been here. I take a seat where he shows me and gives me the phone to make one call so i end up calling my dad because he'd know how to deal with this.

"Hey dad,"

"hey babygirl are you okay?it's pretty late,"he says and I regret waking him up.

"I just got arrested,"

"you what? Where are you now? Is there someone i can talk to? I'm on my way stay put,"he says in his panic Mode. I never thought I'd be calling my dad from a police station to come get me out. I sit there in cuffs as they ask me questions like my face wasn't on blogs a few months ago that i was Fabiana's wife. They guide me to a cell filled with other people who so happen to be arrested for either drunk driving or actual crimes. I position myself somewhere rethinking every decision I've made to get me here.

Maybe i was right all along about loving Fabiana it's too hard and complicated. "Amelia Jameson!" I hear my name being called out as the officer opens the cell guiding me out to where i was seated earlier. "Oh Lia are you okay?" My dad asks hugging me tightly analysing my face to check if there's any bruise on me. "I'm so sorry for the mishap Mr Jameson, i will deal with the officers behind this," the man who i assume is the director says. "You better James,"he says bluntly before ushering me out covering me with his jacket.

"What happened Lia? Since you came here you've been in all sorts of bad situations,"he says trying his best to control his rage. I know he's not mad at me but he's mad at himself for not being strict on this whole Fabiana situation. I know I'm old enough but he's still my dad. He gets to have a say in my life. "The officers Accused me of stealing Fabiana's car despite her giving it to me to use,"i say and he just shakes his head in frustration at the mention of her name. I wait for him to say something but he doesn't. "Dad say something,"i say because it's worse when he's not speaking his mind about something.

"What are you doing Amelia? With your life? I love you but your mom and i can't keep saving you from things you can avoid by staying away,"he says disappointed.

"That family wants nothing to do with you and Fabiana isn't doing anything about it,"

"that's because she lost her memory but she will remember...she has to remember,"i say looking out of the window into the city lights. "You're the one who told me to never give up on someone unless they show reasons to, she hasn't,"i say confident with my own words. Mom is waiting downstairs when i get back with her grey cardigan tightly clenched. "Everything's fine honey go back to bed,"dad tells her but she's looking at me with furrowed eyebrows. In the span of time I've been here all I've given them is sleepless nights despite my  24 years of age.

She contemplates but leaves me there with dad who also leaves me in the string room to figure out what i want. If Fabiana doesn't remember me then maybe it's for the best. Our love was doomed from the start. I want to fight for her but i don't know when she'll ever remember me and i can't just sit back waiting for her to when it could be next month, next year or never at all. I walk quietly to my room not wanting to stress myself too much about someone who's probably never going to look at me the same. What happens when she remembers i lost her baby? She'd hate me again. I kick off my shoes ready to get in bed when i get a text from Ophelia asking me where i am and i decide to text her in the morning because of how exhausted i am.