chapter twenty one

Amelia's Pov
I rush to answer the doorbell ready to curse her out because she left for her date half an hour ago and she can open the door herself.

"Hey Lia,"

"what are you doing here Bria?"i ask already feeling my energy drain. What was she going to tell me next? That she's in love with my sister and wanted my blessing? "Please let me in. I used to live here you know,"she says and i just open the door wide enough for her to enter so we can get this over with quickly.

"I actually came to ask if you can be my date to a friend's engagement right now,"

"why? Did my sister cancel on you?"

"A simple no would have done it. You know if it wasn't for you constantly working i wouldn't have let your sister-" my hand finds its way to her cheek before she can finish that sentence. "This one is you Bria! You could have communicated that to me instead of kicking me out of the relationship,"

"what are we even doing? Arguing like a couple when we're clearly far from that,"she says plopping on the couch sighing and i do the same. How long were we going to be at each other's throats like what we had was worth salvaging? "You hate parties,"i say breaking the silence and she chuckles lightly. "I thought it'd be a good distraction," she says staring at the TV screen. "I don't want to fight with you anymore,"i say half whispering the words but she hears them. "I don't want to either," she says shifting her body weight to face me. I look over to her and realisation hits me that this is actually over. The person i built my future with is now just another person it didn't work out with.

"You can't stop by anytime you miss me Bria or call to talk to me. It's what's best for both of us,"

"Does it have to be?"

"Walking away from you was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but it's nothing compared to watching you fall out of love with me. You don't miss me you miss the person i was with you. I'm not her anymore,"i say feeling my chest tighten. I entertained her because she was all i had before everything happened. I spent every day with her sharing literally everything i had. My secrets, my family, my sad days, happy ones and even promotions at work. She was my best friend. "Can't we work this out? Now that we know better? You slept with a stranger so that makes it even,"she says desperately and I'm not sure how to answer that.

"You had an affair with my sister Bria.I don't think we can come back from that. You'll always be my first in so many things but this is it for us," i say and she just hugs me making my tears roll down my cheeks freely.

"I love you Lia,"

"i love you too,"i say kissing her forehead subconsciously before we pull away from each other. She gets up to leave but i stop her crashing my lips on hers without thinking but i felt nothing. I watch her leave with tears still streaming down my cheeks before going back to the kitchen to grab me another bottle of wine. I'm done with the bottle when the front door opens revealing an exhausted Fabiana. She joins in me on the couch with the TV lighting up the dark room.

"Are you okay?"

"I feel like shit,"

"you look like it too,"she says getting up to switch the lights on so she can get a clear view of my puffed up eyes. So annoying. "Is this about the date?"she asks making my chuckle for the first time since she left earlier. "If only the rest of the population was as delusional as you are,"i comment. I get up and walk to my bedroom ready to wrap this day up but she's not ready to let that happen. "Do you want to talk about it?"she asks the same way she's asked everytime i wasn't okay. "No Fabi i don't, can i go to sleep now?"i ask letting my frustration out on her. "I'm sorry i just...i don't know,"i say trying to avoid breaking down but she's already hugging my small figure letting me inhale her scent.

"I'm taking you for a drive get dressed,"she says in a firm tone not waiting for me to disagree so i do as she says and meet her outside where she's standing next to a black Bentley parked next to my car. She gets in to the driver's seat and i get in the passenger seat a little disappointed that she didn't hold out the door for me. I was sad after all, a little princess treatment wouldn't hurt. "How did the date go?"i ask just now realising i hadn't. "It's going to sound controversial but it went well, we have so much in common,"she says and I'm not sure whether I'm happy she made human interaction today or Abit sad that she might be venturing out and our little sex for pretend wife would come to an end.

"It's nice to see you taking my lead to get out of your shell,"i say smirking and she just scoffs looking over to me with a half smile. Yep I'm definitely right. "Do you feel like talking about it or anything else?"she asks turning the stirring wheel with one hand and the other one resting freely on her lap and i instead focus on the action. I open my mouth to answer but she's already brought the car to a hault letting me examine my surroundings. The millennium bridge? I haven't been here since forever. "I ended it completely with Brianna,"i say as we walk on it with no stopping point in mind. "Didn't you end it before coming to Italy?" She asks focusing on her steps.

"I met her up for coffee when i got here-"

"you seriously are one indecisive person,"

"if i wanted to be judged I'd have called my mom you know,"i say stopping with my arms folded and she turns back when she realizes i stopped. "Relax baby girl,"she says softly. We keep walking to the middle where we stop to admire the view better. "She was having an affair with my sister even after we broke up. She stopped by the house today but i shut everything down. It was hard because she was my home for the longest and i had decided on her and now I'm back to that college girl that didn't know who she'd end up with in future,"i say not once looking over to her because of how embarrassed i felt. To act like i have it all under control but walking on Jello.

"And the funny thing about all this is i blame myself for everything,"i say feeling a tear on my cheek. "Come here,it's going to be okay,"she says stroking my hair and i just want to stay like this. In this safe bubble of hers. "I'm going to be here for you through it all don't worry,"she says in her low tone comforting me. When I'm sure i would break down again she lets me go and we go back to staring at the view infront of us. "I grew up with Diana more than i did with my mom. She'd always send Diana on errands insisting she brings me along whenever her friends were over. One night my dad asked her to read me a bedtime story because he had a call to make and wouldn't do it like he always did and she spent it telling me how god sends kids like me to people who have sinned to punish them,"she says and I'm not sure whether i should say something or let her continue.

I end up taking her hand in mine for reassurance and she continues, "i never got a normal highschool experience because as soon as I hit puberty and it was becoming more questionable to everyone so she had me hooked on drugs and convinced my dad i needed mental help because i was depressed or something. She knew my dad would ask for proof so she had tests run on me and found what she was looking for,"she stops abruptly and i realize she's cautious again Building her wall back up within seconds. "Is that why you walked out on me that night?"i ask.

"I was embarrassed and i didn't want you to pity me,"

"Embarrassed for being yourself? Fabi i meant every word i said to your mom about there being nothing wrong with you apart from you being too serious,"i say making her chuckle at the last bit. She was letting me in which only meant she was beginning to trust me. "Does this mean you want to actually be friends?"i ask and she just gives me one long look like she was rethinking all her life choices. "Yes Amelia,it does,"she says making me grin forgetting how heartbroken i was a few minutes ago.

"But the same rule applies, respect my boundaries and I'll do the same,"

"so boring," i say as we walk back to the car. I didn't even know i needed this until i had it. I feel my eyes get heavy and give in to sleep on the car ride back feeling exhausted plus the wine really got to me. I'm surprised she didn't try to keep me up with her teasing. I turn to feel something soft under me with my scent all over it and open my eyes to find myself in my bed with the lights off letting the moon light fill the room. I turn to an empty side and scoot over to see if she's on the floor and she is. "Fabi?"i call her to see if she's still awake but she doesn't answer so i get up to change but realise I'm only in my t-shirt and underwear with my sweatpants and hoodie both long gone.