chapter forty two

Amelia's Pov
"I'm hanging out with friends tonight,"i say but she's unbothered typing away on her laptop. The past four months have been a roller coaster. Maybe we worked better when we were pretending and she didn't actually have to take up the role of being a girlfriend. I noticed how she eyes other women when we go out but promises it's not what i think when i bring it up and it scares me. It scares me that she might hurt me because she's not ready for this and I'll let her because of how much I love her. "You could at least look up and pretend to hate what I'm wearing,"i say and she looks up. "You look amazing baby,"she says getting up and  walking over to me.

I've been holding back on the question about the baby and what her mom told me. But i know she wouldn't hurt me like that. I mean that's what I'd like to believe. "What are you thinking about?"she asks pulling me out of my thoughts. "How amazing you are,"i lie knowing damn well there's things that bother me about her. I know she's learning to love me the right way but can she catch up already? I'm excusing so much in the name of she's new to this. That and the fact that she's hot and can fuck my brains out to make up for it.

"Okay I'll text or call if anything,"

"my driver will go with you, especially because you'll drink and need a ride home,"she says and i don't object before she goes back to working on her laptop. So much for wanting to get a reaction out of her. It's like as soon as she got me she stopped trying. I'm sure she doesn't even remember what day it is. I get to the bar and literally everyone is there. "The woman of the hour,"Ophelia says hugging me. I thought she was joking about moving here until she did. Ofcourse Peter didn't take it lightly she wanted to move with the kids and the court denied her until the divorce is finalized.

"Happy birthday Amie,"Eden says giving me a small box and i hug her letting my emotions out in that hug. "Hey it's okay, we're all growing older," she says making me chuckle. "Open it,"she says and i do so revealing a well justice scale keychain i lost years ago. I was devastated because that's the send off gift my dad got me and had it everywhere i went until i got drunk at a party and lost it.

"Where did you get it?"

"I was going through boxes of old stuff and found it in one that you packed when we broke up, turns out you didn't lose it after all,"she says smiling and i can't help but what to hug her even tighter for bringing it back to me. This is so thoughtful. "Well now that the gift part is done, it's time for shots!" Hailey shouts and i can tell the alcohol got to her way before the sentence was formed which i find funny. Drunk her is funnier and less uptight. I take five shots and decide I'm not going any further because i know how much of a lightweight i am and will probably start feeling the alcohol soon.

"You wanna dance?" She asks already pulling me to the dance floor and i let her. It's a slow song so i automatically place my hands around her neck and she places hers on my sides cautiously acknowledging that I'm with someone. "Why did you really end it with me?" I ask out of nowhere. "Because i knew i couldn't give you what you wanted at the time. You're gorgeous, funny, amazing and deserve everything the world has to offer and i was just focused on one thing, being able to provide everything you'd ever want and i guess i lost you in the process,"she says looking into my eyes and i can see the sincerity in her words. What's with people and fumbling good things? I think to myself. I start to feel the alcohol in my body with my head spinning and i lay on her chest and she doesn't let go. It doesn't take a second for me to feel my arm being yanked away from her by a fuming Fabiana?

"This is you hanging out with your friends?"

"Relax Fabi we were just dancing and all my friends are here,"i say gesturing to the table with some of my colleagues and Ophelia who are already watching us. "Hey Fabiana," Eden says and it only makes her grit her teeth in anger. "Can I talk to you outside?" She asks and i nod.