chapter forty three

Amelia's Pov
"What do you mean you can't reach her?"

"It's been two weeks and I've tried her phone, flew to Italy because i had a client and it's like she just vanished,"i say genuinely. I just wanted to make sure she's okay because i don't know how she usually handles things like this because she's never had to.

"Did you talk to her assistant?"

"I did Ophelia and she said she didn't want to be reached,"i say remembering how happy she was telling me that she had direct orders not to give any information to me. I hang up and go back to work because as much as I want to be worked up about the situation maybe the break is just what we need and she'll come back when she's ready.

One month later...

"Still nothing huh? Just come to the dinner with me it'll lighten you up,"Eden says nudging my arm but i don't feel like it. Fabiana left without a word or letting us talk things out. "You go one without me. I have cases i need to handle. The last thing I'd want is to be around her parents, they liked me and said i was good for her but their daughter thought otherwise.

Eight months later...

I look in the mirror one last time before leaving the house to my car. Ophelia set me up on a blind date with one of her colleagues. She requested to be moved to London and because she's an asset they agreed. Honestly i just want to get my mind off things and a date with a stranger wouldn't hurt. I drive to the location and find myself Abit early despite how much i dragged myself here. "Amelia right?" A woman with a thick English accent says and i stand up to hug her.

Her cologne is intoxicating and more masculine than feminine. From me getting a proper look i can tell she spent more time in the men's section. "Hey I'm Freya, I was Abit nervous to meet you but after seeing you I'm nerve wrecked. You're gorgeous,"she says taking my hand to her soft lips and leaving a gentle kiss on it. I blush at the action because of how long it's been. "Shall we?" She asks taking my seat for me to sit and i do before she goes over to her seat.

The rest of the evening goes better than i expected. For a person who works in business she sure doesn't talk about it at all and it intrigues me. "What about you, why are you here?" She asks leaning forward and maybe it's just me but i really want her to hold my hand or something. I'll blame it on being touch starved. "Well my best friend thought I needed a night like this one and she wasn't wrong,"i say not wanting to dump everything on her because i know Ophelia must have briefed her.

She eyes me for a bit before the waiter interrupts with the bill and I'm already removing my card. "Amelia it's my treat, i practically begged your friend to let me pick the place,"she says and I'm reluctant as to letting her pay the bill because it reminds me of someone. "We split it then," "tell you what you can pay the parking because i heard it wasn't free,"she says making me chuckle because i would have anyways. I let her pay and watch her tip the waiter  for being so patient with our little back and forth.

"So can i see you again? I really enjoyed today and haven't laughed like that in a while,"she says opening my car door as soon as the vale pulls up with my car. She tricked me.

"My sister is getting married and i don't have a plus one,"

"just text me the details and I'll be there,"

"But i can just-i see what you did there,"i say smiling at how smooth she is with tricking me. I give her my number and she walks away to her car but not before winking at me. I drive home thinking about the date and for the first time I'm thinking about something other than work. I freshen up and decide to watch a movie because it's still early and i don't need to be up early.

I was shocked when mom told me about Ava  and how fast i thought it was but then again i did cut ties with her so i wouldn't know. She didn't reach out directly but my parents insisted i be there. I'll never forgive her for what she did, lie to my face despite everything i did for her but a free buffet and drinks at a wedding wasn't all that bad. My phone lights up pulling me out of my thoughts showing a text from a familiar person.

Unknown number:The bears here are vicious but i got home safely thank you for asking,☺️

I find myself laughing out loud at the text and i adjust myself better to reply to it. She's one different person.

One month later...

"Damn you clean up nice,"she says letting me hook my arm in hers. Who'd have thought I'd be at my little sister's wedding before mine. We found seats next to my mom and dad and i can tell they were more than happy to not see her face again.   

"Honey who is this?"

"Umm this is Freya,my umm friend,"i say and my dad just smiles squeezing my arm. Ki feel her eyes on me but what was I supposed to call it when we hadn't labelled it as anything. More than friends less than a relationship. The reception was better than the actual wedding. Watching Ava say i do to her now husband was harder than i thought. Why should she get a happy ending after ruining mine? Why does she get to be the villain and still have everyone on her side? But maybe it was because only the three of us knew what happened.

"Where's your friend babygirl? I want to talk to her,"

"i think she went to the bathroom,"i say with a mouth full of pigs in a blanket. They don't have anything else I'd want to eat. Once I'm sure it's all gone I go try to find her in the washrooms and i guess i wasn't ready for what I'm met with.

"Ava? Aren't you fucking just married?"

"Amelia it's not what it looks like the minute i said i love you, her sister she kissed me,"Freya says wiping her lips with the back of her hand in disgust. "Wait you what? We'll talk about this later, i want to talk to my sister alone,"i say and she mouths an I'm sorry before walking out. One thing I've learnt about her is she's bluntly honest. "What the fuck is your problem and wanting to fuck the people I'm with,"

"i was spiraling I'm sorry,"

"Cut.the.shit!"

"Why should you get to have everything? Mom and dad's attention, especially dad's-"

"so you're going after my partners because of some unresolved sibling jealousy? That's so low even for you,"i say genuinely because she's married now and maybe someone needs to cheat on her so she can understand how painful and hard it is to get over. "I don't even fucking know why you're married to a man if you're just going to go ahead and pursue women I'm with. Just because of that I'll make sure to add keep your partners away from you in my speech because of how pathetic you are. Your my little sister but i hate you more than Mondays, do you understand how bad that is?"

"I don't care Amelia, i was ready for it when I got Brianna,"she says and my hand has already found its way to her cheek. "I hope you get cheated on so you can grow the fuck up and get out of this whore phase,"i say and walk past her leaving her there to go and scold Freya for telling me she loves me. How dare she do that to me?