CHAPTER 2

The sounds of leaves scrunching as I stepped on them wearily. This place where I first found happiness and excitement turns into mind-numbing and relentlessly tedious with an obnoxious guy wandering at the back.

I stopped and sat on the boulder and leaned on the big Oak tree.

Very unexpected indeed all the turning points in life, to the point sometimes annoying. I'm open to unexpected twists, not just at times when I need to be alone. Yes, he is a boy from our school. He is my companion. I am confident that he will do nothing wrong. It's just confusing why he followed me so far.

"What's your deal?" I asked him, even though I was still trying to get into my system that he is with me now.

He probably doesn't know how long I planned to do this. I am sure he doesn't know the way back either, because we have already traveled more than fifty meters from the camp site.

"I don't know. I just find it boring."

"Uhuh, so you think you would meet fun through me? Pathetic."

He just shrugged, lowered his bag and started sitting next to me.

"This forest is huge. Do you think they can find us here? For sure, they are looking for us now. "

"Don't act superman, if you're cowardly to face your actions. I warned you." I said while looking into the distance.

I find it hard to read his intentions, as if he really has a plan. Is he? So far, I don't feel anything. He was just a handsome man with nothing to do with his life or he just haven't figured it out yet.

I stared at him to prove my discretion. He is handsome. He got this bad boy angst wrapped in an angelic face. I don't know, but he looks like my type. Before. Until he insisted on coming here and ruining my solitary moment.

"Seriously, why are you doing this?" I immediately burst into laughter at his question. I think my laughter is more than hiding as to how real it is in my own life.

"This trip won't get any serious conversation with a stranger like you." I replied with a bit of a laugh. It's not in my nature to be mysterious but I can't talk about it, and I can't say why.

"Stranger? Seriously? You called me an asshole earlier,  how long you'd think we've known each other. Anyway, I'm Max." He suddenly leaned over and offer his left hand on me, as if I intended to recognize him.

"Oh really, I can read." I said while looking at his name tag and I haven't shook hands yet. Asshole? Sigh, that's my favorite expression for stupid people I don't know.

"We're too fast for a first-name basis, aren't we?", he joked and leaned his body freely on the tree.

"Oh." I shook. I have nothing to say to this one. "Get lost then.", I added and started to stand up.

"Huh? It's not even five minutes." He complained even though he didn't do anything and just stood up.

I reached for the compass in my bag pocket and continued walking. A few more roads away. I must make sure I arrive in the afternoon. I must hurry, I don't want to be caught by dusk, it's hard to trek this mountain in the dark. As I walked, Nicole suddenly appeared in front of me and said, "Ava, here, take me a picture; make sure you get the perfect angle." She handed me the camera and smiled as if life were too easy for her. I love it when she doesn't complicate things. I opened my eyes and realized how we started creating memories but eventually became one of them.

Coming back here came from my own realization last night. I realized that I had lived my whole life in monotone, rain after rain, as if the playground hadn't been touched in a year. After my father and my friend left me, I hid under my roof, holding tight to my pen and journals, as it taught me a lot. It taught me how to value myself before others. How not to beg for someone's love—that love and attraction happen naturally. That is, if it was there from the beginning, it taught me how not to lower my standards. How not to lower my beliefs, my feelings, and my love for someone I was taught not to chase those who did not want to be chased. so that my love will not be wasted on those who do not need it. Who doesn't want it? Who does not appreciate it the way it has to be appreciated?