Chapter 3

We deny the obvious and continue to accept this false sense of freedom 'cause maybe it's easier to pretend like we're not all bound to something deep inside.

"Woah, these trees will make you look dwarf. " Max yells.

"Yup, growing up to 116 meters tall, just looking up at these natural skyscrapers will make you feel tiny."  I recall.

"This is the first time I saw these gigantic trees in my entire life." He unconsciously keeps on uttering while looking up, reaching the farthest sight of leaves of these trees.

After so many years of solitude, it feels strange to have another presence around. How strange of me,  inarguably adapting it after one hour of trekking and meditating in this forest. I feel how stupid of me that I'm still looking for his ulterior motives, and he didn't seem to have one, really.

Nagpatuloy kami sa paglalakad, sa tulong ng stick na hawak namin upang maiiwas kami sa pagkakadulas at sa compass na minu-minuto kong tinitingnan.

Dire-diretso lang ako kung maglakad, hangga't naririnig ko ang kaluskos ni Max natitiyak kong nakasunod lang siya sa likod. Kaya lang nagtataka ako bakit tila ang bagal niyang maglakad, hindi pa naman kami papaakyat ng bundok. Ilang sandali pa, lumingon ako at tiningnan siya.

Mariin niyang pinag-aaralan at tinatandaan ang aming mga dinaanan. Natatakot siguro sa posibilidad na baka maligaw kami. Natawa naman ako habang pinagmamasdan siya at ibinaba ang aking  pinakaboritong beige cap at nagsalita, "Hindi tayo maliligaw, promise."

"I believe so. You seems to be all-knowing." He shruggs

"Err." I frown and continue to walk. Sometimes, I don't know how to respond appropriately without any awkwardness and shitty words I used to say. I think I've always sort of been an outsider on the inside. I'm floating over my body like watching my interactions or if I'm just destined to observe it for the rest of my life. Introvert's dilemma.

"Why did you leave the camp? Maghahike din naman tayo bukas."

Should I answer that? I stopped and turned back, "I can't just bear the thought of having fun with other people at this place." I managed to say.

Agad naman siyang lumapit sa kinatatayuan ko, "Any sentimental attachment in this forest?" He keeps on asking beside me.

"My father and I used to trek this forest when he got his free time, mostly on weekends." I say, recollecting the past.

"Oh, I see."

"But now he's gone."

"Oh, I'm sorry." A sudden sadness appears in his face and he sensibly tap my shoulder.

"No, it's fine. I'm fine." I smiled at him and get rid of his hand. "Come on, we have to get there before dark." Aniya ko at nagpatuloy sa paglalakad.

"So you plan to joined in our school's outdoor and team building activities just to go all the way here?"  He asks with a little laugh while we're trudging through big rocks and fallen vines.

"For grades, yes, I have to. Albeit, I don't want to be here."  Seryosong sagot ko habang inaayos ko ang aking buhok at muling isinuot ang aking sumbrero.

"I guess you should be happy. Your father leaves you tons of exciting memories.", says Max with full of sincerity

"When you lose someone and leaves you those exciting memories, you're longing for it. Yes, you moved on. You already accept that he's gone and that you can't do anything to it.  But when those memories get back, just like the memory of this place, the pain keeps hurting. And that's the kind of heartbreak, even time could never mend."