The Preparations

The plane ride back to California was dreadful, Stephan could not stop talking and asking a million questions and Steven was getting a severe headache. He hadn't slept for days thinking about Abby, now another catastrophe was on his plate.

His best and loyal friend Anthony had taken his life, Steven still couldn't believe that he was gone forever. It just didn't make sense to him, he had a beautiful girlfriend who adored him and he was going to be a father! Why would he throw all that away and end his life for a woman who didn't give a damn about him!

Tears streamed down his face, he could not accept the fact that Anthony had done what he had done. Steven realized that life was much too short and it was not worth living if the person you love wasn't with you. He now understood why Anthony did what he did, he didn't condone it by no means, but he understood Anthony's pain and suffering. Wasn't he too suffering because of Abby for so many years, and wasn't there also a time in his life when he was feeling depressed and wanted to end his life too?

Anthony took the coward way out! "Fuck you Anthony!" Fuck you fuck you fuck you!" He cried and smashed his fists on the wall.

"Daddy are you ok?" Stephan looked up at Steven with his innocent eyes and his lips trembled.

Snapping out of his anger and resentment, he turned around and looked down at his son.

"Why are you crying daddy?"

Steven didn't know how to respond to his questions, taking his little hand in his, Steven walked them both back to their seats and said, "Buckle your seat belt Stephan, we are going to land soon."

He then closed his eyes and Abby appeared, his heart, his soul. His everything. As peace settled within him, as it always did when he thought of her, he relaxed himself and blocked off any negativity for the time being. For he knew that if he didn't do that he didn't know what he would be capable of and he had to keep reminding himself that Stephan was here and watching his every move with a keen eye.

The flight back from Greece was a long one, but they finally arrived. The limo drove them straight home and he handed Stephan over to Alice.

"Take him to the park and let him have whatever he wants for dinner. I don't know when I'll be back, but while I'm away I do not want Victoria anywhere near my son, do you understand?"

"Yes." Alice nodded, and then added, "you look awful is everything ok?"

"I'll fill you in later now I have to go." He turned to look at his son who looked like he was about to cry, "you will be sleeping when I return, and the next few days daddy is going to be very busy, but when everything is settled me and you will spend quality time together I promise."

He scooped Stephan in his arms and hugged him tightly before placing him back on his feet. "I love you son!"

"I love you too daddy!" Stephan answered sweetly. "Alice can I have Macdonalds for dinner tonight?"

Stevan left and headed back to the limo that was waiting for him, how easy children get distracted, he thought, he wished he could do that too. Climbing back inside the limo, the chauffeur drove off and Steven closed his eyes and rested his head against the leather seat. How was he going to face what was waiting for him?

Anthony's parents were incapable of taking charge of the funeral arrangements, they were flying in from Chicago in a few days and begged Steven to arrange everything for them. They were devastated and could not accept the fact that their darling boy was dead. His mother was taken to the hospital, she had an anxiety attack and Anthony's father was comforting her.

It was up to Steven to make sure everything was taken care of, but how was he going to be able to arrange the funeral and then bury Anthony? He didn't know if he could survive the entire ordeal. Steven was a tough man, but this was a horrible situation and Steven knew it would destroy him. Anything was like a brother to him.