Chapter 11: Stuck in a Hole

Katsuki sipped his beer and lazily scrolled through his news feed, a baseball game playing on the television in his periphery. It had been a pleasant morning off spent with sex before breakfast and lazing around the apartment thus far, he was looking forward to spending his afternoon doing much of the same.

Glancing at the time, he frowned. Izuku should have been back by now. It was his first day off  since he was on night patrol; he had a couple days off to readjust his sleep schedule. Katsuki may have switched a shift to get his days off to align. Some thirty minutes ago the daughter of the building's owner had come knocking, asking for assistance with something. Izuku, ever the people pleaser, had slid on his shoes and promised to, "Be back in shortly , Kacchan!"

A knock at the door distracted Katsuki from his Tv but he chose to ignore it, turning his attention instead to the game on screen. They knocked again. And again. With an aggravated huff, Katsuki forced himself from the sofa to answer.

There stood a little girl, eight years old at most, a puppy poorly held in her arms, though it seemed happy enough. What was this brat's name? He recognized her as the building owner's daughter, but that was all he could muster.

"Izuku already left to help."

"I know that!" the little girl answered petulantly, "He helped get Leo out from behind the furnace!" She shifted the puppy in her arms, "Papa would have been mad if he knew I was playing so Deku-kun helped me."

"The what the fu—dge do you want?"

"Deku-kun said to tell you he needs your help and to hurry."

"Is he hurt?"

The little girl giggled, "Nooo."

"Then what's the problem?" Katsuki growled.

"He's stuck!"

Katsuki supposed that was worth putting shoes on for

He slid on a pair of cheap plastic sandals he only ever wore when he was leaving the apartment but staying in the building. Then, he followed the little girl down to the building basement. The space was mostly storage, a furnace, some water pipes that forced Katsuki to duck his head as he walked.

"Deku-kun, I brought the grumpy man!" the little girl chimed, running towards the back of the dimly lit space, her giggles bouncing along the walls not unlike the puppy in her arms.

Sighing heavily, Katsuki followed. Along the farthest wall was an old furnace, replaced with a far better model years ago but never removed. The old metal mechanism had an array of pipes that went every which way and intersected with newer pipes, forming a gridlock of metal that only an expert contractor would be able to make heads or tails of.

If Katsuki had to guess, the puppy had run under the mess of metal to explore and then gotten scared or stuck. The little girl had been unable to squeeze under, so she'd sought out assistance from Hero Deku who was nice and conveniently lived in her building.