Chapter 14 ~Broke Up With Bella~

Marv stopped by at Kendra's place so he could drop her off at school. Before the beginning of class, Kendra stopped by her locker to get some books.

Mandy saw her, and walked over smiling.
"Sup girl, what's good?"

Kendra smiled back.
"Getting ready for class, as you can see."

They were still engrossed in their conversation when Jay and the guys walked in. As usual, the hallway was a mess. With all the girls gawking and ogling at them. The moment Kendra took notice of them, she looked away. Mandy continued flashing her best smile at them. In hopes that her crush Tristan would notice. Jay already knew Kendra saw him, and intentionally turned away so she would not have to talk to him.
So he called out.
"Hey, Kendra."

Kendra froze.

Shit! He caught me.

She turned and managed to say sluggishly.
"Hi."

Jay spoke up.
"I just wanted to say thank you for last night. Well, i gotta run. See you later." He winked at her before leaving.

The guys were surprised that Jay was actually talking to Kendra. Jay was the cream of the crop as far as West Worth High was concerned. But he never used that opportunity to pickup girls. Other than the guys, and their female counterparts, and their team members from basketball, Jay never really bothered with anyone else. But still, he was civil and polite to other people.

The bell rung, a signal that classes had begun for the day. Students hurrying to their various classes. Kendra stood still rooted to her spot.

Mandy clicked her tongue, while grinning like a Cheshire.
"Someone is definitely determined about making her dreams come true."

Kendra frowned.
"Which someone? And what dreams?"

"I've been in this school for five years now, and Jay has never said a word to me. I haven't seen him talk to a girl, save for the queen and her caddies."
She giggled at the last part.
"And what was that about last night?"

Kendra was nervous.
"Why don't we talk over lunch?" She ran off.
Many was smiling at Kendra's back. At that moment, Thelma walked past. Mandy wondered why she was alone, and not in company of the others.

********
At lunch, Kendra and Mandy sat down to eat together. Then Kendra told her everything about her meeting with Jay. Mandy was all smiles.

"Kendra my dear, I'm happy for you."

Kendra raised an eyebrow.
"And why is that?"

Mandy whispered.
"He's your crush isn't he?"
Kendra laughed heartily. She thought that it was funny Mandy thought that way.

"Mandy, don't be such a joker. When did i ever tell you anything like that?"

"Oh really? Then why do you always turn into a tomato whenever he's nearby?"

"I just...
Well, i don't have a crush on him.
We'll leave it at that."

Mandy chuckled.
"If you say so."

Jay and the guys, Thelma inclusive ate at another table. One reserved for the coolest kids, one could say.
After fiddling with his food for a while, Nolan spoke up.
"I find it strange that you're in school, but Bella and Melissa are not."

Dennis answered in the defense of his girlfriend.
"Do not trouble my sweet, you could just call your girlfriend to ask her."
He smiled lovingly at Thelma while stroking her hair, "eat up, babe."

Tristan spoke up. His voice filled with wisdom.
"As to why Melissa is absent, Nolan you should know wherever Bella goes, Melissa goes too. You should rephrase the question, why is Bella not in school?"

They all stayed silent and thought about Tristan's words. Very true. All eyes turned to Jay, obviously demanding answers from him. Afterall, Bella was his girlfriend. So they thought.

Jay cleared his throat.
"My parents and i had dinner at at Bella's yesterday....
As you know, since our last fight, we haven't exactly been on talking terms. But, we apologised to each other. Then i told her i would like us to get some time away from each other, at least for now."

Everyone was shocked. Jay and Bella hadn't been the lovey dovey couple, but everyone already thought their future together was set in stone. They were already bethroted since birth.

Roy cried out in disbelief.
"The fuck Jay! You broke up with Bella? Dude she adores you, how could you do this to her?"

Roy was not much of a talker. But everyone knew when it came to Bella, he defied his principles of staying silent all the time. They all knew he had feelings for Bella. But unfortunately for him, she despised him. Jay knew Roy was mad at him, so he tried to explain further.

"Roy, i know you're mad right now but you of all people know how strenuous my relationship with Bella has been. Especially with the great war ahead, I have to rid my mind of every other thing that stands as a distraction.
Bella drives me crazy bro... I can't breathe! This whole relationship is suffocating." Jay ran his hand through his hair, his fists balled.

Tristan looked around to see if people were listening in on them, as the conversation was getting heated. Roy saw reasons with Jay in the end. He did not let his emotions becloud his judgement. The others accepted Jay's decision too. Bella was indeed a hard nut to crack. She was not in anyway helpful to Jay.
Tristan sat closest to Jay, he patted Jay's shoulder as a way of comforting him. He knew Jay was having a hard time.
Thelma on the other hand, feared her fate with Bella. She defied the rules of their friendship by showing up at school, when Bella was absent. She prayed for God to help her.