Chapter 42.

Chapter 42.

Nanigas naman si Rey sa kinauupuan niya. Nanlalaki ang mga matang tumingin siya kay Reious habang si Reious naman ay malungkot na ngumiti. 

Although he likes the fact that he's cornering Rey without doing much, it pains him how he could have done something that time, but couldn't because he and Niraiah was still a stranger around that time.

"Though I understand that that accident was a huge tarnish to NoThin's reputation, it is not enough reason for its owners to sell all their assets and give up their ownership to the hotel. Kung hindi lang talaga magaling mag-halukipkip ng sekreto ang sekretaryo ko, hindi ko pa malalaman."

Reious put a note in his mind to give Max a vacation and bonus he all deserve. Plano niyang seryosuhin ang biro nito kagabi bilang gantimpala sa pagiging matiyaga niya sa trabaho. 

Napalunok naman si Rey. Napa-iwas siya ng tingin bago mahinang nagsalita.

"... The previous owner of the NoThin Hotel was jealous of Niraiah's mother."

Reious paused. He looks taken aback as he looks up to Rey in surprised as he continued to speak.

"She was the previous lover of Niraiah's father, but because of some circumstances, they broke up. After years, he met Niraiah's mother that he eventually married and had a child with. Years after, she found out about this while they are working in their hotel, so she devised a plan to kill the both of them-- in the most cruelest way."

Reious gulped as Rey shook his head.

"But the casualties not only involved those two, but also a lot of hotel staffs. To avoid getting caught by the law, they announced the hotel's bankruptcy and their desire to sell the hotel to clean their hands off from the crime. That is when my father took the opportunity to buy the hotel, the hotel that prevented our CBA Company from completely taking over the AAAA City's market."

Napanganga si Reious kaya dahan dahan niyang tinakpan ang kaniyang bibig upang itago ang pagkagulat. Wala siyang ideya na iyon pala ang totoong kwento sa likod ng pagkamatay ng magulang ni Niraiah.

It was not an accident, but rather a foul play.

Just thinking what Niraiah would feel after hearing this break his heart. 

"I'm not sure how, but Mariel knows all about this. That's why she took the role of Niraiah's guardian, and as a way to compensate Niraiah, my father also granted her a full scholarship and support until she could finally support herself."

"So where did the previous owner of NoThin Hotel went?"

"The last thing I heard about her is that she died from a heart attack two years ago. That's all."

Napatango tango naman si Reious habang malalim ang iniisip.

"Kaya ba sinisiguro mo na mananatili si Niraiah sa kumpanya ninyo? Upang hindi makalabas ang impormasyong ito?" Nanliliit ang nga matang tanong ni Reious, kumunot naman ang noo ni Rey.

"No, although our company will faced huge backlash if this information got out, it is not enough reason for us to make Niraiah stay with us. It's Mariel's will to make Niraiah loyal and stay with us. The act of firing her yesterday was just a test she devised to see if Niraiah will do something about her decision. But, Niraiah seek refuge to someone Mariel can't easily touch--"

"What do you mean? Niraiah did not seek refuge to me, I am her home. I am someone that she could come back to anytime and I will do anything to protect her."

Rey smiled wryly and could only look at Reious in an indescribable gaze.

"Regardless of such, I don't think Mariel will stop from bothering Niraiah any sooner. She had a mindset that she should take care and make sure Niraiah will be alright, even if it is mean controlling her life."