Chapter 19: Lila's Case

After a couple of weeks of questioning, and with some evidences, the case of Marinette Dupain-Cheng's unfortunate death comes up with the final say at the Parisian court.

The Dupain-Chengs were invited into the final court case, despite Sabine, the mother, not attending in the first few hearings. They know this case could impacted thier family.

The judge and the prosecutor have questioned Lila, with some believing that she might lie again, but unlike in the past, she's admiting the case that she done.

"Do you at fault for this?"

"I did."

"Why?"

"I just wanted attention for every Parisian, especially in my class, but it brang my harshness from Italy into here.," Lila answered the prosecutor. "I just want to have friends, but clearly, because of my lying, I failed."

Sabine and Mario were in shocked, as so does the rest of the people in the court. Nicole was just sitting between Joe and Alya, crying.

"What about the Princess Justice controversy?," the prosecutor asked again. "Where you involved with this?"

"Yes, clearly.," Lila answered. "Why? Because I'm sick of Marinette having all of the attention in our class, and having to deframe her would be easy for me to get it."

Once the prosecutor walked away from her face, Lila sadly looked at Joe and Nicole.

"Spero che ora tu abbia una vita felice senza di me.," she thought. "I could be your friend at any time, but I'll be nicer once I got release from prison, legally."

She then looked at the Dupain-Chengs.

"I'm so sorry that I caused Marinette her life.," she thought again. "I hope you forgive me."

The next move from Lila, was her sadly pleading her to be guilty of her case. That shocked the court.

"Honorable judge, I pleaded guilty of my case."

Joe was so much in shocked when he heard it.

"No way! Lila's given up."

"Woah- Why?," Alya asked.

"I don't know. She couldn't take it anymore.," Joe answered. He then looked at Nicole and noticed her crying, as she walked out.

"Joe, Nicole walked out.," Chloe said.

"I know.," Joe responed. "Things have changed but they're still best friends."

"Order in the court!," the judge shouted.

"Ms. Rossi, are you sure about this?," the judge then asked Lila.

"Yes, judge.," Lila truthfully answered. "Not only I couldn't take it anymore, but I also wanted to change, for the greater good."

"Then, that should do it. Ms. Lila Rossi, I pleaded you guilty for the suicide case of Marinette Dupain-Cheng, as well as deframing.," the judge said. "You have been sentenced to four years of imprisonment. Case dismissed."

As the judge heads to the final decision, the Dupain-Cheng family was now releaved. The people were celebrating, and Lila was also releaved because she finally found change.

Outside the court, as Lila is escorted by the police to the Prisión de La Santé, eight of Joe's friends, including himself, approched her. The police where then asked by Nicole for the nine to be alone, and they did.

"Happy now?," Lila sadly asked.

No one answered.

"Clearly, I made a lot of mistakes over the years, and even causing a person's life.," Lila saidly said. "I really am sorry for what happened. I wasn't thinking that much."

"Listen, I know how hard it is.," Joe said. "How hard to lose a friend in needed, at the hands of the most hated girl in Paris. I know I am happy for this ruling but I just think Marinette is happy that you changed."

"Grazie."

"No, grazie mille per aver fatto uscire la verità.," Joe said. "Marinette should happy about this, and at same time, she might forgive you.,"

"No, Joe.," Alya said, then looked at Lila. "Marinette will forgive you.," she then said.

"Merci."

The group then walked away, except two Italians. Mario and Nicole still looked at a sad Lila. Joe, Alya and Chloe stopped walking, and at the same time looking about what they're about to say from afar.

"Mi dispiace.," Lila sadly said. "I'll promise that I will change for the good."

"No, no.," Mario calmly said. "You're forgiven, Lila."

Mario walked and approched the three, while Nicole stayed. Tears still forming from her eyes.

"Sei ancora amico di me?," Lila sadly asked.

Nicole didn't answer, instead, she just hugged her softly. She was happy that Lila is officially arrested, but at the same time, she is sad because she might experienced four years without her former best friend.

Obviously, Lila can't hug her back because she is handcuffed, but she just smiled. Not a sinister smile like she used to, but a genuine smile.

"I can't hug you right now.," Lila said. "But once I got freed, the first thing I'm going to do is to look for you."

"Ti amo.," Nicole sadly said. "Ti amo sempre."

Lila's message was even more heartbreaking for Nicole to see, or at least, heard.

"Ti amo anch'io, il mio migliore amico."

"But when will I see you again?," Nicole sadly asked.

"You can visit me at anytime.," Lila adviced. "And each time, I'll will start fixing our friendship, and making new friends - this time, in good ways."

After Lila's advice, she was now escourted by the police once more. As the looked towards the police car, she is happy that she found herself. Not because of lies and grabing attention badly, but she found the kind and joyful self.

As she looked at the window, she looked at the Nicole being conforted by her new friends, and she had another genuine smile, knowing that she'll be happy for her best friend, and she'll be happy as long as Nicole is happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 955 (Published: 09/30/23)

A/N: Good thing that was noted on my mind, but what do you guys think about this twist?