Chapter 20: Goodbye, Paris

Couple of days later, and it's Joe's final day at the Collège Françoise Dupont. The friends have prepared a farewell party just for him at the classroom.

"We need to stay quiet in front of him!," most of the class would say during the preparations.

The day has come for Joe's departure from the class, and from the school for that matter, as he is leaving Paris by the tomorrow, so they've better get ready. The Filipino, on the other hand, have most packed his things thoughout the days prior, but he's attending his classes. But not today, until, a message from Chloe interrupted him.

Joe, you need to come to the school. Me and the class have something
-Chloe

Joe answered in his chat with a simple 'okay'.

From the school, in his arrival, is mostly quiet, so he find something else, but they were some noices in the classroom. His and his friends' classroom. He notice something is happening, so her approched the door, opened it and...

"Surprise!," the whole class shouted.

Joe was shocked. He didn't know all of his friends are here, at least for the last time before departing.

"Woah- What are you doing guys?," he asked.

"We all know that you're departing from Paris to finish your studies in America, and that's your dream.," Ma'am Bustier said. "So, the class planned everything for your departure party, but ourselves made this as your graduation party.," she added.

Joe then looked at Chloe.

"You planned this?," he asked confusingly.

"I was not alone on this.," Chloe answered.

"Actually, Chloe, Nicole and I planned this, so you don't need to be sad before departure.," Alya explained.

This made Joe tear up, without noticing most of his friends will miss him.

"I'm-I'm going to miss you guys.," Joe said with little sobs. The class, even Ma'am Bustier, have hugged the Filipino, knowing that this would be the final session with him.

The class went on without any troubles, and with some experiencing minor separation anxiety attacks, Joe then consoles them. Despite not living with Marinette, they know their lives will be back to normal.

Later in the day, he visited Lila, as a form to say goodbye.

As Lila arrived, Joe said a simple 'hey' and things went normal unlike what it was used to.

"So, I heard about you leaving Paris? You do lie, do you?," Lila said.

"People often lie for the sake of oneself, Lila. You have to be smart for that.," Joe said. "And you were not-"

"Not smart to think about it. I know.," Lila responded, then she sadly sighed, knowing she might not get a visit without him. Since the arrest, no one have visited her, and Joe was the first one to do so.

"I just wish for your friends to visit me, just once."

"Don't worry about that. Maybe one day, they'll visit soon, you'll need the right time for that.," Joe adviced.

"Really?," Lila asked. Joe nods as a approval.

"Thanks."

"Anyday.," and with that the two talked as normal, as in nothing really happened.

Within the weekend, Joe packed his things and at the Roisy Airport, the friend group was there with him, at least for the last time.

"This-feeling-of-saying goodbye. It hurts, isn't it?," Adrien said.

"Yeah, I mean over the last couple of months, we see goodbyes all over again, including Marinette.," Joe responded.

The talk was silent for a couple of minutes, until.....

"Attention to all passengers of United Airlines flight UTA279 Paris to Houston, airline departure is in 15 minutes. All the customers of flight UTA279, please procceed to the flight now."

"Looks like I'll better get going.," Joe said, in response to the message. "I might be late for the flight."

Almost everyone nods in approval, and as Joe almost departed, someone stopped him.

It was Chloe.

"Wait!"

Joe turned around to see her and Zoe having a gift.

"What is this?," Joe asked.

"Open it.," Zoe said.

Joe opened the gift the sisters gave to him, and it was a photo of all of his friends. That photo when Marinette was in the photo, and the Italians weren't there, even Lila.

"Hope you like it.," the sisters said in unison.

"That's utterly ridiculous if I didn't like it. I love it!," Joe said.

"We also have a gift.," Mattia responded.

Joe also opened the gift from the Naples-native Italian, and it's a ready-to-go coffee set, and it's full of espressos.

"Nicole told us that you love coffee, so we gave you our old coffee set.," Lorenzo said. "It's still working as normal, just minor colors to it to represent you."

"Grazie!," Joe said. All of the friends then hugged Joe for the last time. It's warm, but at the same time, heartbreaking.

"Thank you guys. I'll better get going.," Joe said. "See you again?," he then asked.

"See you again!," Chloe and Alya responded in unison.

And with that, Joe officially leaves his friends towards his flight, the Roisy Airport, and Paris to finish his dream to finish studying in Austin, Texas in the United States of America. His friends are heartbroken by the move, but they are now leaping into the future. They might be recovered from the tragedy of Marinette's death just recently, but the are surely remember the sweet, bubbly, and lovely girl by heart. Same goes to Joe, who seems silent upon the flight taking off the runway, but he is sure about recovery, and he'll never forget his unforgetable friend at all times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 933 (Published: 10/01/23)

A/N: No note