4: Happiness or Homework? You Can't Have Both

"You ever wonder why teachers always have miserable lives after they leave class?" Isabella dropped all her books on her study desk in the prep room. "This is why. Imagine assigning all this shit to a school child. Do they know that I have a life?"

"I don't think they care," I replied, sitting down on my desk. "They probably think we're built like the seniors or something."

"We haven't even started the extensive shit and we had two back to school tests and four assignments," Isabella whined, resting her head on the wooden desk. "I fucking hate this man."

"Well, prepare to hate school even more," I added, throwing a crumpled piece of paper at her head. "Volleyball tournament in 2 months, we're about to get fucked."

Isabella groaned, hitting her head on the desk lightly. "God, just come and end it."

After a long day of introductions and assisting new students, it was time to study for the last time tonight. I managed to avoid Sofia the entire day, but tonight, I have no chance. The prep room was divided into two corners: the seniors and seniors. Now that we're in our first senior year, the other side was ours. And that also means we have a new prefect assigned to us on this side.

"I seriously wonder who our prefect is going to be," I said, putting my books down. I desperately needed to change the subject before Isabella hurt herself.  "If it's somebody that I don't like then shit will hit the fan faster than I can even comprehend."

"I agree. If it's bloody Walker then I'll just have to disappear," she sat up, rubbing her head. "Did you see what she did last year? She walked the previous prefect body like dogs, and she wasn't even appointed yet."

"Right?" I nodded my head at Joanna  and the rest coming in, narrowing my eyes at Sofia. "She was ready before the others were ready to leave."

"I know you guys aren't talking about Walker becoming our assigned prefect." Sofia laughed, opening her pencil case. "She's too busy straightening the seniors, we have someone else in charge of us. Someone…" She looked at me and smiled. "Special, I presume."

"I'd be damned if it was Harley." Isabella glanced at me. "Right?"

That wasn't the prefect I was weary of. Instead, I began to pray that it wasn't who I thought it was.

"Hopefully it's not—"

"Hello, hello!" A proud voice echoes throughout the prep room.

Jinxed it.

I groaned, cursing as I looked at her. Her chestnut brown hair was tied in a loose ponytail as she slung back her bag, grinning down at me. She then proceeded to flick my forehead, and my immediate response was to get up and flick her back.

"What in God's name are you doing here?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Well, hello to you too," Kaitlyn haughtily said. "You know, I  thought you'd be happier to see me. Having your sibling as your leader should be the best thing in the entire world." She put her bag on the floor, proceeding to undo her hair tie as she stared at me.

"It would be if you were different."

"How so? I haven't even started and you're already taking me the wrong way. I'm not going to bully you, all I'm going to do is be your confidante, your friend," she lied.

"Sure."

"Trust me, I'll protect you this time. Give me a chance, Kennie."

"My bad, let me try again." I cleared my throat. "Oh, Kaitlyn, bestow upon me the wisdom of the ages! Be the one to cherish and keep me safe from the vultures of this school!"