32: Crimson and Clover

I stood by on the porch of the house Yasmina told me to come to, smelling the flowers I got for her. I went to the florist a few hours back to look for jasmines, because Yasmina's name reminds me of the flower; beautiful, unique, and dainty. I also stopped by the store to pick up some caramel popcorn and chocolate for her.

Today, I'm taking all the chances I can get; I'm letting her know how I feel today.
Ringing the doorbell once more, I whistled slowly, looking at my shoes. The door opened and out came Yasmina in a navy blue crop top and shorts, her hair in neat cornrows. A hand flew up to her mouth when she saw what I was holding, and I grinned at her, handing them over to her.

"Jasmines for my Jasmine," I quipped, giving her a hug. "And popcorn for my foodie."

Before she could say anything, a lady that was about 6'1, slender, and in a black apron appeared behind her, a batch of cupcakes in hand. "Thandie, I told you not to open the door to strangers, what if your friend comes and sees a complete stranger in our house?"

Yasmina frowned. "Ma, she is my friend. That's her."

Yasmina's mom looked a bit shocked, but nonetheless smiled at me. "Kendall, right? Nice to meet you."

I nodded at her. "Nice to meet you too, ma'am."

"Why are you still by the door? Come on in, Kendall. Nothando, let the girl pass."

Yasmina looked a bit irritated, but she moved out of the way, allowing me to enter. Her living room was connected to the dining room, the cool earth tones bouncing off the walls as the furniture complimented the area. There were artifacts around the cabinets, a trophy shelf in the corner of the living room. Walking up to it, I squinted my eyes to look at the large golden trophy at the top of the shelf.

1st place in public speaking: Nothando Yasmina Thompson.

My attention drifted off when I heard Yasmina's voice. "Ma, Kendall brought us some flowers." Our eyes met and her mouth dropped, with her storming over to me and pulling me away from the cabinet. "I didn't want you to see that yet."

"You used to do public speaking?"

"I mean–"

"Nothando!"

We both stared at her father coming down the stairs while on the phone. He nodded at me and then looked at Yasmina. "Ngicela utshele umngani wakho ukuthi naye kumele asebenze lapha. Akezanga ukuzodlala. (Please tell your friend she has to help out here. She didnt come bere to play.)"

Yasmina rolled her eyes at her father. "Uyisivakashi, baba. Ngokuzayo uma efika lapha uzosiza, ngiyathembisa.(She'sa guest here, dad. She'llhelp next time, I promise)"

Her father nodded, and he hung up the phone, sticking out his hand for me to shake. "Sorry for the disturbance; I'm Mr Thompson, Yasmina's dad."

"Nice to meet you sir. I brought you all some flowers and some popcorn, hopefully, I could help with dinner?"

Mr Thompson looked at Yasmina proudly. "Umngane wakho muhle. Mgcine. (Your friend is helpful, keep her.)" He then looked at me again. "Hopefully Yasmina isn't too much trouble at school for you? I was told she's your room-mate."

"She's not much trouble, sir." I smiled at him.

"And she's not focusing on boys right? I'd hate for her to go down a bad path again. At her last school she–"

"Dad, I'm okay," she quickly interrupted him. "I'm not dating any boy."

"Good, I don't want to hear any nonsense about you dating a boy."