5: Just Mind Your Business Next Time

I knocked on Isabella's door, my sleeping bag in hand. After a long week at school and some annoying moments from my sister's reign at our school, I managed to ask mom and dad if I could go to Bella's for a bit. It worked, and here I am.

Yasmina told me that she'd get Lynn to take her, so I wasn't worried about her anymore. Lynn was new to the school, but she wasn't new to the community. She hadn't switched cities like Yas; she just switched schools. Plus, Lynn had a heart of gold compared to me; I'm sure Yas was smiling the entire time when Lynn offered her a ride.
Shit, I'd smile too.

Isabella opened the door, dressed in a floral dress with her hair gathered into two neat ponytails. "You're late."

"Sorry, I had to get dressed." I gestured towards my simple tee and jeans. "Perfect, right?"

Isa rolled her eyes. "Even Yas got here earlier than you. You should be ashamed."

"Hey, she got here earlier, but she didn't bring this." I opened my duffel bag and pulled out some wine.

"Bribed Kaitlyn to get it."

Isabella clapped, and let me in. "Play nice though, you know Sofia is here."

"She has to play nice, I have no problem with her," I said, touching the tip of Isabella's nose.

I greeted Isa's mom and dad before heading up the stairs. Isabella had the biggest house among our original friend group; five bedrooms and three bathrooms seems pretty big to me, especially if you're an only child. In our house we have three bedrooms and two bathrooms, meaning I had to share a bathroom with Kaitlyn, who takes forever in there. Sofia has a little brother, and they have the same house model we have since we basically live in the same neighborhood.

"Ladies!" I kicked the door open. "I have arrived."

"The main course has arrived!" Lynn clapped her hands before jumping up to hug me.

Joanna  popped a strawberry in her mouth. "We've been waiting."

The girls were already divided; Joanna , Yasmina, and Lynn were sitting on the bed while Sofia, Audrey and Sabrina were on the floor, each with a lollipop in their mouth. Sofia and I locked eyes again, and she stopped sucking her lollipop, just to chuckle.

"Kendall, it's about time you showed up."

"Yeah, I was delayed. You know how the traffic is," I lied, turning to Bella. "Where should I sit?'

"Oh, my bad." Isa turned to the girls on the bed. "I think we should sit on the floor and form a circle, there's a game I want to play."

"But we haven't eaten yet," Joanna murmured.

"We'll eat after this. My parents ordered some pizza, it should be here in a minute." She then sat down, looking up at me. "Come on, let's do it."

I sighed, but nonetheless sat cross-legged beside her. The girls followed, with Yasmina on my left and Isa on my right. Sofia sat across from me, and Liliana sat beside her, fiddling her hands. I frowned; she only does that when she's nervous or uncomfortable.

"Lily?"

She looked at me. "Yes?"

"Are you okay?" I asked, watching Sofiainstinctively sling an arm around her shoulders.

"I'm okay," she said, looking away from me.

Sofia whispered in her ear, and Liliana nodded. When they stopped, they turned to us.

"What are we playing?" I changed the topic hastily.

"Truth or dare," Isabella cackled like a witch.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me. We're teenagers, not fifth graders," Joanna  interjected. "Isn't there anything else we could do?"