10: Let's Try Things Differently

Yasmina didn't text me for the rest of the weekend, nor did she talk to me the entire day on Monday, even when we're in each other's presence for more than 24 hours. Luckily, I can turn to Isabella, because even though she has a boyfriend, Christian can't visit us in the girl's hostel, no boy can without authorization.

"I bet you're hating the silent treatment, right?" Isabella asked, sitting on her bed.

Isabella hadn't gotten a room-mate because our grade had very few boarders this year. A lot of people left, leaving us with a really small number. But that was a good thing for me, because that means I wouldn't have to look at my past in the face. Well, at least all of it.

"You have no idea. I feel like moving in here for a few days," I said, taking down my tie. "It seems like she won't stop."

"I mean, I'd give you the silent treatment too." She shrugged.

I frowned. "Isa."

"What? Imagine forcing me into a fake relationship just because you want to compete with Sofia even though you won't admit it."

"I am not competing with her."

"Sure you aren't. I'm sure the debate club thinks differently. Possibly even Liliana too–"

"Liliana shouldn't even be involved in this conversation."

"She should be involved because that's your ex," Isabella continued. "You talk so much about your own issues and how they're affecting you, but how about Liliana? She's caught in the middle."

"So is Yasmina," I pointed out.
Isabella grinned at me. "Of course she'd be your point of interest. You like her."

I burst into laughter, throwing my tie at her. "Me? Of course not."

"Then why are your cheeks red?"

I paused, looking away from her. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You like her, it's written all over your face, Kendall!" She suddenly shook me. She placed her hands on my cheeks, forcing me to look at her. "You totally like her!"

"I…it's not important. We're just doing this so that Sofia doesn't ask about us." I stood up, removing her hands. "That's why we're fake dating."

"I bet you actually want to date her."

"How is that any of your business?" I scoffed.

Isabella rolled her eyes. "Because I'm your best friend, that's how. You can tell me anything."

"Leave it alone, Isa. Do I ask about you and Chris?"

"No, but that's because you don't want to know. I want to know about you and Yasmina because she seems like a nice person and someone that would balance you out if you two dated."

"Liliana and I balanced each other out."

"No you did not. You liked Lily because she was your freshman crush, that's why. You barely knew anything about her."

"Can we stop talking about my love life? I'm sure there are better things to do with our lives."

"Like get Yas to talk to you?" She smirked.

"Yeah," I finally admitted. "I messed up real bad."

She finally calmed down, and sat in her bed again. "How bad was it?"

"Yas and Liliana sat out of two games of Dance Revolution, as well as got hit in laser tag twice because Sofia and I aimed at each other so much," I muttered. "Lily also fell down during laser tag and I skipped past her just to catch up to Sofia."