25:Closeted...Kind Of

"Shoes off when you get in here," Joanna commanded before I could get into her and Lynn's room. "Off."

"Yes ma'am," I replied, taking off my shoes as I entered. "Have you two seen Yasmina? She's been avoiding me recently."

"Same here," Lynn added. "After dinner we usually stay behind and chill, but now she goes off somewhere and hides."

"That's some weird behavior for someone who's birthday is in a few weeks," Joanna slowly said, playing with Lynn's hair. "I spoke to her a few hours ago."

"Birthday?"

"Yasmina's birthday is on the 9th of September,  and she'll be turning 18," Joanna explained. "By then I'm sure we'll be in school right?"

"Yes, but how do you know Yasmina's birthday and I don't?" I asked her as she stood up, walking over to her closet.

"I don't know, maybe she didn't want a lot of people to know," Joanna elaborated. "And I'm sure she wouldn't tell her fake girlfriend that either."

"That makes se—wait, fake girlfriend?" I whispered.

Joanna smirked, heading over to Lynn's bed and sitting beside her. "You don't have to lie to me, Kendall. She told me about this."

Lynn looked at Jo. "I was never told."

"It's not something supposed to be shared, baby." Joanna comforted her, hugging her.

I glanced at the two of them. "Baby?"

"Yeah, you and Yasmina are so wrapped up in your own little world that you don't know that Lynn and I have been dating for over a month now," Joanna proudly stated, kissing Lynn on the cheek.

"How is this possible?"

"Put two lesbians in a room for over a month and see how far that takes them," Lynn answered. "I'm surprised it hasn't happened to you and Yasmina yet; you two look like you like each other." Lynn nudged Joanna.

"Look like? They do, they just don't want to admit it. Right, Riddick?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"This is a safe space, Ken." Lynn grinned at me. "Whatever is said here, stays here; I promise."

I looked at Joanna. "Do you promise?"
"Why do you think I'll tell Yas?" She scoffed.

"Because you're clearly closer to her than everybody else, Jo," I replied, flipping my hair. "Maybe you can even give me some tips on how to court her."

"Kendall thinks she's so fancy; court her? What Era are we in? The Bridgerton Era?" Lynn snorted, bowing a bit.

Joanna stood up and curtsied, looking up at me. "Lady Kendall, it would be an honor to take your hand in marriage."

"Joanna–"

"No, let Miss Joanna speak, Lady Kendall," Lynn interrupted me.
"It is thy honor to be in your presence. Allow me to take you to heaven and back." Joanna winked. Before she could continue, Lynn hit her on the back of her head with a pillow, causing her to stumble momentarily. "Lynn."

"I'm sorry but your girlfriend is right here; get up," Lynn reminded her. "Kendall, let's talk about your issue again."

"You just don't want my attention to be on Kendall," Joanna murmured, kissing her girlfriend again.

"Very correct, now, onto more pressing matters." Lynn pointed at me. "Tell that girl you like her."

"Absolutely not."

"Why?"

"What if I get rejected? Heck, I've already been rejected once by her–"

"Damn, when?" Joanna stifled a laugh. "One thing about Yasmina is that she has a sense of humor; homegirl rejected you?"

"Damn, imagine getting rejected by the one girl you have feelings for," Lynn snickered; the pair high fiving each other as they cracked a few more jokes about my dilemma.

"Alright, I get it." I rolled my eyes. "Help."

"There is no helping at this point, you're just going to have to accept it." Joanna shrugged. "If she rejected you then that's a wrap."

I scratched the back of my neck. "Well she didn't exactly reject me."

"Now she's denying it." Lynn sighed. "Okay; what did she do?"

"She never answered when I asked."
Lynn and Joanna shared a look, then shook their heads in unison. "And that's rejection to you? Clearly you've never been to a South African or Zimbabwean school."

"Not even South African, but she's never been to a properly mixed school," Lynn added. "This school says it's mixed but realistically speaking the boys and girls are so segregated it's looking like gender apartheid."

"Exactly!" Joanna agreed with her as I stood there, observing how they interact with each other. "This isn't rejection; those people will make you want to throw yourself off a building."

"Or even drink bleach; the opposite gender…"

"A mess. What's worse are SA girls; the hearts they break–"

"What happened to helping me?" I asked, irritated.

"What happened to not making everything about you?" Joanna fired back. "We were just trying to lighten up the mood, damn."

"I'm sure you can help yourself." Lynn whistled.

"Guys please, I didn't know who to tell."

"Your best friend?" Lynn suggested.
"I could've gone to her but I knew you two would have better advice."

"So you come to us when you need something right?" Joanna asked me. "Because it feels like you're just treating us as your counselors or some shit."

"We aren't therapists, Kendall."

"I know, and I'm sorry," I said. "I just…don't know what to do in a situation like this. I really like Yasmina, and I want to show her that but she's not letting me."

"Is she refusing to let you show her how much you care or are you limiting yourself because of your fears?"

I didn't respond, the question settling in my mind like an unwelcoming visitor in a family's home. Joanna had a point; it could be my fears limiting me, or Yasmina blocking every attempt at me getting to know her. Or maybe even both. The possibilities she endless, but one thing is for sure;
Yasmina is the girl that I want to fight for.

"I guess it's the latter," Joanna answered for me. "How about this; you try and surprise her next term. Get her flowers, show up for her, be there for her and for Christ's sake please get her a birthday present, even if she didn't tell you about her birthday."

"There must be a reason she hadn't told me."

"She hasn't told anyone besides me, so don't think about it too much," Joanna continued. "Be confident; Yasmina isn't scary."

"Heck, she's actually into confident people."

"How would you know?" Joanna stared at her girlfriend.

"I may or may not have liked her before I knew that Kendall had her eyes set on her," Lynn said, chuckling nervously.

"Kendall, keep Yasmina. I don't want you stealing my girl," Joanna joked.

"Don't worry, Lynn's safe with you." I winked, happy for the couple. "So, what should I get Yasmina for her birthday next term?"

Joanna and Lynn looked at each other again, a smile growing on their faces. "I have a few ideas," Joanna began. "Take a seat, Riddick; it's going to be a while."