15: Stay

"So, Kendall tells me that you're dating."

My father began to choke, coughing harshly as Kait patted his back. "Dating?"

Yasmina ate in silence, waiting for me to explain. "Yes," I lied.

"What happened to that girl? The one named after a flower?" He questioned me.

"Liliana? We broke up a month ago." I avoided his gaze.

"Is this something to talk about when her new girlfriend is on the table?" My mom scolded him.

"I apologize." He resumed eating.

"So, Yasmina, was it?"

Yasmina looked up and smiled at my mother. "Yes, ma'am?"

"How did you and Kendall meet?"

"Oh this is going to be a good one," Kait laughed.

Before I could answer, Yasmina chuckled softly. "We met at school. After we became room-mates, Kendall was sweet enough to show me around and make me feel comfortable. She's such a sweetheart."

"Wow, Kennie, I didn't know you were such a sweetheart." Kait wriggled her eyebrows at me.

"Kaitlyn."

"Sorry mother."

"So when did you two start going out?" My dad suddenly chimed in.

"I think it was two weeks into the term. Kendall asked me to go on a date with her and I agreed, not knowing it was the start of something so…beautiful."

"The food might get cold and we have cookies, let's just enjoy our food," I tried to change the subject, swallowing a mouthful of my mom's mouth-watering lasagne.

"Yeah, let's just talk about how Kendall is trying so hard to be captain of the Volleyball team next year." Kait added.

"Oh please, I'm not."

"Liar," she spat.

"Mierda." I cursed.

"Puta."

"Kaitlyn! Kendall!"

We both bowed our heads. "Sorry mom."

***

After the most embarrassing dinner of my entire seventeen years on this earth, we were finally dismissed for the evening. I opened the door to my bedroom, waiting for Yasmina to enter. When she's in, I get in the room and lock the door behind me, taking a deep breath.

Okay, Kendall, this is your time to impress her. Ignore what happened tonight, focus on the future.

"You have a really nice house," Yasmina said, placing her bags down. "Is it okay if I sit down?"

"Of course, of course." I nodded, and once she sat, I took the remote off my dresser, looking at her. "Okay, I need you to do something for me."

She raised her brows. "Do what?"
I walked over to her and stood in front of her, putting the remote down briefly. I then placed both my hands on top of her eyes, closing them, hearing her giggle.

"What is this, Kendall?"

"Just trust me, okay? I want you to keep your eyes closed," I instructed her. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Alright, I'll trust you."

After a moment, I stopped covering her eyes, noticing that she kept her eyes closed. I picked up the remote again and walked over to the lightswitch by my door, switching off the lights. When I pressed the button, the LED lights surrounding the corners of my room lit up, changing color as I intended. I then ran to my dresser, looking for my mini speaker. I'd rather use the mini speaker today because my sister wants to study for her mock exams. Switching it on, I began to play the song 'Heat Waves' by glass animals, listening to Yasmina laugh once again.