18: Camping Is For Losers

Kendall hates camping. Kendall doesn't like sleeping on the ground. Kendall is a house girl; but for Kendall to even be considered a prefect one day, Kendall has no choice but to sleep on the ground, shit in the woods, and participate in the annual 2025 Lasting Impressions Leadership Camp.

I am Kendall, by the way.

As insufferable as it seems, I have no choice. Every grade 11 has to go for this camp, because in the second and probably the first half of the third term, we'll be getting assessed. Now I wouldn't want to be the only one in my family that hasn't held a leadership position; my mother (allegedly) was head girl at an all girls school, my dad was the rugby captain, and now my sister is the deputy head girl. If I can at least become a prefect  I'd be happy; they're my motivation and inspiration, and not to forget rubbing it in Sofia's face if I make it.

After trekking for what felt like a lifetime, we finally set our bags down, relishing in the beauty of the outdoors. The tall trees forming and creating some sort of shield around the campsite, fallen leaves around the uneven ground, and the lake that should be somewhere around here if we actually looked. If you're an outdoors person, it would be perfect for you. But for me, not so much.
The view is nice  though.

"You know, this isn't so bad…fuck!" I tried swatting away a bee that seemed to only have interest in me. "Jesus!"

"For someone that complains about being in the house all the time, you sure are scared of bugs and animals." Yasmina shook her head as I fought the air.

"Me? Scared? Never." I put my hands on my hips. "In fact, I'm just doing this to protect you."

"Kendall, you ran as fast as you could as soon as we left the bus. Stop lying to impress Yas," Isa remarked, earning a high five from Joanna.

"Yeah Kendall, Yasmina's already whipped, relax."

"Joanna!" Yasmina threw a stone at Joanna, who promptly dodged. "Should've caught it, Jo, basketball season is next term."

"You like basketball?"

Yasmina nodded. "At least in basketball there's about a 93% chance I won't get a hit to the fucking head."
"It was a mistake, Thompson, get over it," Sofia suddenly stated, laying her bag down next to mine. "It was supposed to hit this nutjob over here."

"Thanks for reminding me of how shitty your aim is," I scoffed.

"Is this what we call bonding? We're here to bond," Liliana muttered, hands in her pockets.

"We're here to lead," Audrey corrected.

"We're here to compete," I snarled at her.

"And I'm looking for a toilet. Any ideas, anyone?" Jo waved her hand multiple times.

"Well we're in the woods Jo, look around you." Yasmina shrugged. "Nature is your toilet."

"Oh for fuck's sake," she mumbled, kicking a rock and walking away from us. "That's why I didn't want Lynn to get in there first; taking too damn long to pee."

"I'm on my period for fuck's sake!" She whined, running after her.

I turned to the others. "Now that's done, what's next? Standing sucks."

"Sit on the ground," Bailey suggested.

"Better yet, trip and sprain your ankle, it'll help you in the future," Audrey added.

"How helpful." I rolled my eyes. "Where's Miss—"

"Alright ladies! Time to talk," Miss Verne appeared out of nowhere with Meredith and Kirsty wielding wood in their hands. "Let's outline what we're going to be doing for the next few days."