37: When Shit Hits The Fan

At some point I had to try and convince myself that everything that happened this afternoon was real.
Audrey turning her back on Sofia and Yasmina turning her back on me happened so fast, I didn't know what to think or even say at that moment. All I knew was that I needed to talk to Yasmina before anything else because this is just one big misunderstanding.

Why does this always happen when someone is about  to get their happy ending? Like, in the movies you see them hit some type of milestone, and then right around the corner that's when they have an argument. An argument that shreds them into pieces so bad that they can't even get back together after that? This shit isn't a movie, but here I am, living the life of the selfish main character.

In some way, my heart goes out to Sofia as well. Say what you want about her, but she was duped just like the rest of us. Sofia may be one of the best manipulating, gaslighting, and rude girls I've ever met in my life, but nothing can compare to Audrey García. She managed to trick everybody and their mother.
My main priority right now though, is to talk to Yasmina because if she comes up with a conclusion on this without hearing what I have to say, then it's going to end in tears. Not just my tears, but hers.

I also couldn't help but grieve the loss of somebody that I truly cared for. I tried my very best to support and love her through anything and everything, even if it meant throwing away everything that I worked hard for. Yasmina was worth it to me, and she'll always be worth it.

That's why I have to apologize to her.

I sat on the bench, gathering up my thoughts. The devotions door flew open, and standing at the door was Kait, who motioned for me to follow her. I obeyed without question, and followed her as she asked Harley to take care of prep for the evening. Harley accepted it and shook her head at me, obviously hearing about the situation that happened in the afternoon.

Following Kaitlyn to wherever she was taking me, I just couldn't get my mind off of the afternoon issue. There's no way I can let Audrey get away with all of this; maybe I can let Sofia slide, but Audrey? There will be hell to pay with her.

She closed the door to her bedroom. "I asked Audrey to delete the video. It was unnecessary and foolish."

"Thank you."

"Recording someone without their consent is a crime, and I wasn't going to let her expose you like that," Kait added. "She should play with her mother, not us."

"Thank you," I repeated.

"Now, about the afternoon issue," she started. "I watched the video before she deleted it."

"Figured."

"Please explain to me why you said all of that when you know your girlfriend is most likely to be listening in on your conversation?"

"Audrey played both of us in order to get ahead of us. And while it wasn't the best way to approach her about it, I thought she'd try to have a civil conversation with me about it and–"

"You think García is able to have a normal, unbiased conversation with the person she absolutely hates?" Kait interrupted me.

"I'm stupid, okay? It was a mistake."

" Why didn't you just come clean when I told you to come clean?" Kait asked.

"Because I didn't know where to start," I explained. "Some things are easy to say and some things aren't, and this just happens to be one of the things but aren't so easy to say. What if people called us liars?"

"It doesn’t matter, Kendall. I wanted you to come clean because I knew this would happen," muttered Kait. "Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture; people were going to find out one way or the other. You just had to pick the lesser evil, and unfortunately for you, you picked the larger evil. Let's call a spade a spade: Audrey is a conniving little asshole that is obviously going to take any chance to make sure you look bad. You could've prevented this by coming clean yourself."

"I didn't want any of this to happen."

"I know, but let's face it; it was going to happen either way," she continued. "Kendall, I just think that you need to let this shit go. Let whatever beef you have with the blondies and move on with your life. You genuinely liked Yasmina, and because of the shit that you put her through because of your feud with the popular girls, she's not going to fuck with you anymore. This all happened because you can't see your own problem."

"And what exactly is my problem?"

"You just can't let sleeping dogs lie for the life of you. Some things are better off left untouched. Remember what happened with Liliana? She was bad for you. Now it's Sofia, and now it's Audrey. I think it's just best to try and focus on your studies; focus on your relationship, and most importantly, focus on your career. Leave this shit alone! High school will come to an end, Juana. Take it from me, this high school shit will come to a fucking end."

I remained quiet as she continued.
"You of all people knew that I suffered last year," she started. "Remember when Harley and I got into this huge argument about who was going to be the Golden Girl, and then tried to sabotage each other at every chance we got? I don't want this to happen to you because it strained all of my relationships, including the one with Darren. Look at what's just happened to you; you and Yasmina aren't talking right now because of this."

"Kait, I promise you, I did not want this to happen at all. This only happened because Audrey decided to open her big mouth and revealed herself! You think I wanted Yas to be mad at me about some out of context shit she heard behind the foyer?"

"I know you didn't, but have you talked about this with her?"

"We didn't talk about it," I replied. "But I thought it was obvious because–"

"Not everything that is obvious to you is going to be obvious to everybody else!" Kait snapped. "She has feelings as well, and now that she thinks that you played her, she might not hear what you have to say."

"Well she might as well listen, because how are we going to make it work if she ignores me every chance she gets?"

"I don't know, maybe talk to her?"

"I have to."

"You better. Because she obviously thinks that you lied about everything. You deal with Yasmina and I'll fix everything between Sofia and Audrey, okay?"

"I will, and thank you for actually doing this for me."

"No problem," she mumbled. "I'm not watching you go through what I went through. Never again."

***

"The video is gone," Kait said as she entered my room. She glanced at Yasmina, who had her headphones in while reading a book. "Yasmina, did you hear me?"

Yasmina nodded, forcing Kait to take me by the hand and escorting me out of the room. We passed Audrey's room, and I kicked the door hard as Kait took me away from the impending chaos. We got inside Kait's room again.

"The video won't air, I got you covered." She shrugged. "Asked her to delete the video off her Icloud and laptop. She didn't even waste two seconds."

"Why was she so kind to you about it?"

Because even though I'm not a prefect anymore, I'm still respected," Kait laughed. "Plus I told her that I know where she lives. Say that to anyone and they get scared as fuck. Hope I helped you though."

"You did," I said. "Thank you."

It's alright…I'll see you home in about 2 weeks.  I finish next week and I just want to let you know that if you ever need anything from me…I'm a call away. And a drive, but stick to calling, I'm tired of being your chauffeur."

"I don't know what I would do without you."

"You'd die." She smirked. "Anyways, you need to go talk to that girl; I don't want you to lose what you had."

"Yes, Kaitlyn."

"Promise me?" She furrowed her eyebrows together.

I nodded. "I promise."