Chapter 25

Ché

4 months later

Shawn had just finished an amazing game and his mom wanted to celebrate his victory with me, and his brother. I hadn't seen them in several years, so I was elated for the invitation.

"So tell me everything Ché Ché." Melissa, Shawn's mother insisted. "Cause my son been keeping my angel away from me."

"Ma, you so dramatic." Shawn laughed.

She tooted her lips.

"Honestly, Miss Melissa, life's been going real good." I smiled. "I did get out of a long term relationship in August. It wasn't fun but I'm still makin good money, treating myself, lookin good, and loving myself hard."

"Oop, not he fumbled the baddie." She added. I chuckled.

"Ma..." Cardo said.

"Don't do that no more." Shawn added.

"Das not what the kids say?"

"Yes it is, momma. They just hating." I said in her defense.

"So how you likin your school, Cardo?" I asked.

"I love it. Ion know how I feel about all them white folk at my illustrious HBCU though."

"It's like 10 of them." Shawn interjected.

"Das too much." Cardo and I protested in unison, making us all chuckle.

Dinner went nicely. We caught up with eachother, told old stories, reminisced, and just had a great time enjoying each other's company.

"Thanks for inviting me. I really do appreciate it." I said to Melissa with a big hug.

"You know it's nothing, baby. Anything to spend time with my Angel." Melissa cooed.

"Imma catch you, 'Car door." I said hugging Cardo, teasing him with the nickname I used to antagonize him with.

He rolled his eyes and smile, "Yeah yeah."

As we walked away I turned to Shawn, "Can we make a quick stop before I go back to the hotel?"

Shawn

"Yeah fasho."

We drove for a while before I asked where exactly she wanted to go. She didn't give me a straight answer. A "just keep driving" was all I really got.

After a while we pulled up to a luxury apartment complex.

I looked at her confused while she smiled at her phone.

"You meeting with someone?"

"Uh... yeah." She said. "Pull up to the gate and enter this code." She said before reading the numbers.

We drove up the parking garage until she instructed me which floor to park on.

She got out, "Come."

From there, we went to the elevator and she hit a button.

"Who you gonna go see?" I asked.

"You gon see." She grinned.

"You're being weird."

"Shhhhh" she pushed her finger against my lips right before the elevator opened.

I followed her down the corridor. She fumbled for a little bit finding a key. She finally opened the door.

I was shocked.

I walked in to see a portrait of her hung up on the wall.

I looked at her confused.