44. mein Schatz

Diya

The clattering noise of utensils woke me up. It must be Vee I thought to myself. I stretched before getting up and walking toward the kitchen. My body felt exhausted and my limbs ached as if I had lifted a weight all night.

Seems like I slept for quite some hours. It was evening already. The blinds were open. The clouds were broken up magnificently around the orange setting sun. A splash of orange and pink was making every cloud prettier than it already was.

Veronica was making tea. I silently settled on a kitchen stool. She glanced at me with a soft heartwarming smile on her lips but so many unsaid questions in her big round eyes. I had no clue how to explain everything.

I gave her a weak smile and looked down realising my eyes were really swollen and red. My face looked like a swollen tomato.

She walked over to me filling two mugs of tea. Placing them on the counter she settled beside me after kissing my head lovingly.

"I missed you."

Her words brought tears back to the back of my eyes.

No! No! No. No, more tears, please.

I forced myself to not cry. I didn't want to cry anymore.

She had no idea how much I missed her. How many nights have I cried myself to sleep praying I could have her to talk to? She'd fight everyone for me.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

She spoke in a soft voice while taking a sip from her mug.

Her eyes were boring into my skin for an answer. Not knowing what to say, I grabbed my mug and sipped my tea.

It wasn't bad but she didn't let it boil much. It wasn't strong as I like.

"It's not strong, " I tried to change the topic.

She narrowed her eyes first not understanding. Her expression changed to annoyance immediately.

"Sense of gratitude is also a thing." She gets mad easily.

"You know I like it strong."

"Then go and make yourself a stronger one."

She tried to take my mug but I held it back.

"It's not that bad though, " No energy left to stir a tea at this moment. I took another sip trying to ignore the fact it wasn't strong enough.

She didn't say anything. Suddenly, the silence was intense.

I knew it was coming but what do I even tell her? I looked up at her, she was looking away enjoying her tea. She was dressed in black shorts and a loose matching tee with a low neck that slightly showed off her cleavage and nude bra. She was at the gym when I called her and she just came running.

She thinks she's gaining weight sitting in the office for hours and would soon turn into a balloon if doesn't do something fast. But I like how her cheeks are coming out now. It reminds me of how she was so chubby when we were kids. I loved to pinch her cheeks so much even though it irritated her. She looked really cute and cuddly back then.

I glanced at the sky. Sun had fully set, and it was getting dark and cool.

"Are you okay? " She asked breaking my trance.

"No," I said looking down at my mug.

All the bad thoughts and memories that I was trying to suppress, started to pop up leaving me vulnerable once again.

I was terrified thinking about everything that happened in the past couple of days. Nobody would ever believe anything I say. They'll think I have gone crazy and would send me to a mental asylum if I even try to explain to them that I saw werewolves. Not just saw I lived with them. People would seriously make jokes about me.